RAM Upgrade for Dell Dimension E310

If memory serves, the main reason to work in matched pairs is the dual channel function. If you have 2 matched size and speed cards in the correct slots the system flips over to dual channel mode which is somewhat performance enhancing. If the size and speed don't match the system remains in single channel mode.

If memory serves, the main reason to work in matched pairs is the dual channel function. If you have 2 matched size and speed cards in the correct slots the system flips over to dual channel mode which is somewhat performance enhancing. If the size and speed don't match the system remains in single channel mode.

Ok, so I bought a 1GB stick of RAM from ebay and I installed it on my computer. I also installed the stock 512mb stick of RAM, so I now have a total of 1.5GB of RAM. Both sticks should be 533mhz. My computer is running faster, but can I leave it like this or should I get another identical 1GB stick of RAM?

Just out of curiousity, I removed the stock 512mb RAM and so now I only have the new 1GB stick of RAM. The computer seems to run faster this way now. Why would that be?

What I meant was get another 1GB stick and there probably won't be much difference in terms of performance.

Back
Top Bottom