Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default RAM Upgrade

This is my first post so please bear with me. I just upgraded the amount of memory installed in my machine, which is an eMachine T6216. The Motherboard memory specs are: DDR: 4 GB maximum capacity, . Now I have 3 GB of memory in 2 x 1 GB modules and 2 x 512 MB modules and the system seems to be moving slower, though not quite a crawl.

It would seem as though it would have moved slower previously, since there where only 2.25 GB in 1 x 1 GB module, 2 x 512 MB modules, and 1 x 256 MB modules, and if I remember correctly, it would only identify 1.05 GB of memory before the upgrade.

The way I understand dual channel memory and upgrades is that there are 2 banks of 2 slots, and each bank has one green slot and one purple slot (and this is with my computer.) What I read online said to make sure that both slots in a single bank is supposed to have the same memory module size, for example (in my case) bank 1 is supposed to contain 2 x 1 GB modules and bank 2 is supposed to have 2 x 512 MB modules.

Hopefully that was understandable, and any help/advice would be appreciated too. Thanks.

Supernovali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: RAM Upgrade

It sounds like you may have a bad stick or two of memory. Have you tried running Memtest86? That should tell you if there are physical issues with the memory sticks.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Beta Member

Default Re: RAM Upgrade

Thanks, I'll give that a shot, though I won't be able to do it for a bit, gotta few things to take care of before I do.
Supernovali is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emachines, memory, ram, t6216, upgrade