Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default RAM Upgrade

I decided to upgrade my RAM since I formatted my PC and the load up start to take a while every now and then.

Well what im worried about is the RAM I currently have and the ones that Im going to put in. The RAM I currently have is on my signature, but lets just say the new RAM is a 4GB DDR2 800MHz, will this cause any clashes?

I've searched at other forums and googled a few things and it seems to be fine with 2 different speeds.

But the other day my friend upgraded his RAM with different speeds and it didnt boot, the power and all is running, it just turns on then off, but when we took the new RAM out it booted fine.

So what I would like to know is having different RAM speeds an issue?, I know it will be capped to the lower speed. Also I would like to know what could be the issue if the above question is true.

Cheers.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: RAM Upgrade

It is usually okay to have two different speed Memory cards slotted in a motherboard, and yes, the memory will all run at the lower speed.

With that said, sometimes there are conflicts. Check the users manual for the motherboard and see if there are certain combinations you should avoid.

Is the price differential that great between the 800 and 1100 MHz RAM?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
It is usually okay to have two different speed Memory cards slotted in a motherboard, and yes, the memory will all run at the lower speed.

With that said, sometimes there are conflicts. Check the users manual for the motherboard and see if there are certain combinations you should avoid.

Is the price differential that great between the 800 and 1100 MHz RAM?
Unfortunately I cannot find the same make of my RAM and have been looking, the price maybe steep considering Im upgrading something old so thats unfortunate, but I will look into the motherboard manual for RAM compatibilty so that I make the right choice.

Cheers
Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Speccy - System Information - Free Download will help while the system is powered on.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote