Ram speeds not correct

InnerCalm

Solid State Member
Ok, I just received my computer from Cyberpowerpc, and I expected to get crap ram.

I selected 8GB of major brand ram, and they happened to give me Kingston ram.
8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
It is HyperX Blue

Information about the ram is here:

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9AD3B1_2G.pdf

Motherboard:

GigaByte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870/SB850 chipset support DDR3 Ultra Durableâ„¢3 Socket AM3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, GBLAN, Support 6-core CPU, CPU Auto Unlocker, USB3.0, SATA-III, ON/OFF Charge for IPod, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 3 PCI

Using speccy, I am seeing that the ram is running at about 1333mhz ... It says it runs at 1600mhz.

How do I change the settings in the bios to run the ram at 1600, and what do i enter for all fields necessary to not mess anything up?

I appreciate the help!!

Not sure if this is of importance, I'm new to building computers and/or modifying anything on them. The cpu is as follows

AMD Phenomâ„¢II X6 1100T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

I just went to bios, and set the speed to 1600mhz , and the timing settings to 9-9-9-27

I have noticed however that sometimes while i am doing things, my computer will completely pause. I can move the cursor around but the computer itself seems to stop doing anything, then all of a sudden everything starts working again.

Can this be because of my settings, or can this be a problem with something else? Ive just received this computer, so im not sure if this was happening before i changed the settings in bios.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Firstly, the AMD platform is not memory dependent, so if you're having problems at 1600, drop it back to 1333 and you won't suffer any tangible performance loss.

If you still want to run the RAM at the rated speed (I don't blame you) then bump your voltage up a tad. Performance RAM is rarely rated for the higher speeds without a voltage bump.

As you can see here:
Kingston Technology Company - HyperX DDR3 -

RAM speeds of 1600 require a bump to 1.65v (or higher!) for them to function correctly. The DDR3 spec calls for 1.5v as a normal voltage setting.

But, as I said, AMD's platform is not memory bandwidth hungry, so your settings may introduce an element of instability since they natively only support 1333. A little research before hand would have revealed that. That's not to say it won't work, it just needs a little tweaking, but lets be honest here, your system specs suggest that's what you're into. ;)

Back
Top Bottom