RAM speeds

ultrarob

Solid State Member
I know enough not to usually mix RAM speeds, but I'm working on my dad's computer, he bought a 512 MB stick of PC3200 RAM that was on sale last week that he wants me to install. His motherboard supports up to PC2700, so I suppose it should run the new RAM at 2700. My question is, there is a 256 stick of 2700 RAM in there already. As far as the computer is concerned, the new RAM is as good as PC2700, so would it be safe just to leave the old stick in there and use both, since the computer will be running them both at 2700?

Hey,

Your right, it will only run at PC2700....although we cannot guarantee system stability. If the RAM isn't the same speed/make as the 256mb, there is a good chance the system will crash, or fail to even boot, but it is worth a shot, might be lucky.

Matt

most of the time it's going to work without any problems. There is a small chance that the system won't be stable, but I've never seen it happen.

Thanks for the info. I realized that my motherboard will actually support PC1600/2100, and the existing RAM is 2100. I'm going to go with the new RAM alone just because I'm sick of fixing this POS computer and my dad doesn't need more than 512 anyway.

One more question though, I realized that my motherboard documentation says it will support 200/266 MHz DDR RAM, and the new RAM I want to put in is 400 MHz. Will this work?

Mattyl110792 said:
Hey,

Your right, it will only run at PC2700....although we cannot guarantee system stability. If the RAM isn't the same speed/make as the 256mb, there is a good chance the system will crash, or fail to even boot, but it is worth a shot, might be lucky.

Matt
this is a very very very rare , usually happens if you get cheapo ram like no name ram , i have a corsair and a crucial in my older desktop and there is no problem

lol, yeah, i'm just going from past experiences...I had 2 sticks of different no name RAM and blue screened every 10 minutes, so thats why i said that..

Matt

Back
Top Bottom