Ram speed question

theapothem

Solid State Member
I am looking at motherboards for an x3 and I am stuck trying to figure out why some motherboards support PC3-12800 like the ASUS M4A79XTD EVO and others just support PC3-10666 like the ASUS M4A78T-E.( these specs I got from google) My brother told me that just because they dont say they support it on google doesnt mean they dont. I think just the opposite, why would so many people buy the second motherboard compared to the first on newegg, or at least more people reviewed it.

The ASUS M4A79XTD EVO supports up to DDR3-1800(PC3-14400) and the ASUS M4A78T-E up to DDR3-1600(PC3-12800).

I wouldn't use the the amount of reviews on Newegg as a guide to how popular a motherboard is.

The ASUS M4A79XTD EVO supports up to DDR3-1800(PC3-14400) and the ASUS M4A78T-E up to DDR3-1600(PC3-12800).

I wouldn't use the the amount of reviews on Newegg as a guide to how popular a motherboard is.

they need to reset the reveiws newegg people post the stupidest stuff

@OP: Newegg is a really good place to get computer part information, even if you're not buying. The specs info is right 99.9% of the time. If the speed isn't listed, the motherboard doesn't support it. If you want 100% accuracy, you can always visit the manufacturer's website. As far as reviews, I find them very handy. Don't just look at the eggs, actually go to the reviews and read them! What I suggest is reading all the bad reviews. You should be able to tell whether is a fluke or a real problem from the way the author writes it.

so how come in google in specs it only shows that the evo supports pc3 12800, I assume from your post that since the 1800 is oc that it doesnt show it being supported because they dont show the oc speed? Also I assume I want the fastest speed? I also noticed that newegg had alot more ram that was the speed of 1600 vs the 1800, also cheaper. Is the jump from 1600-1800 really worth it? I just found some ocz reapers for 88 shipped :) I guess Im going with the faster ram. Does anyone have experience with either of the boards or I heard the gigabyte were also on the same level, but they use 2oz of copper which is supposed to increase reliability and keep the mb overall cooler.

The RAM speeds mentioned are the over-clock speeds. The native speeds will be lower, stock RAM bus speeds.

Personally I don't think 1800Mhz RAM is worth the extra money unless you really, really need the extra bandwidth it will give you.

Back
Top Bottom