RAM Questions?

1. Cas Latency basically refers to the number of clock cycles your memory will take to complete a task, and the is split into four figures.

tRas (also known as the RAS pulse width or simply called the cycle time is the number of clock cycles that your memory will take to close after its been activated so that it can be written again. The tRAS should be just a little bit higher than your CAS + TRCD + 2 depending on your module.)

tRCD (also known as RAS to CAS delay) THis addresses work in terms of rows and columns of numbers. It is simply the number of clock cycles that your memory will take to get a column address from the cpu after its recieved the row address.)

tRP (known as RAS precharge is the time your memory will take to activate a row after a precharge command. A precharge command is basically an instruction to charge up its storage capacitors. Your memory will get to work quicker the lower this number is.

4th And last is the CAS (column address strobe which is the most important of the latency settings and the most quoted. This is the system setting that will make your ram noticeably quicker or slower as well as making it crash if its set to low. This is the number of clock cycles that your memory will take to start working on a read command after it's recieved all the other info from your other commands.

This scale would look like this tRCD 4, tRP 4, CAS 4, tRAS 12 or normally seen as 4,4,4,12 in sig's.

2. Answered above the lower the better.

3. Voltage I believe this is similar to CPU's. The higher the voltage normally the lower you can get the timings and overclock the ram. If it runs at a lower voltage it can't overclock as high.

Also if you want to wait a bit I just ordered 4 gigs of this G.Skill low latency that should be comming today. Not sure about that just checked the shipping tracker and its hung up about 45 miles from my house not sure if it will come or not. If not i'm going to flip on newegg or ups. Anyways i'll put up a review on how this ram preforms its timings are 4,4,3,5

SOOOO bacically the lower the CAS the better and if your not going to overclock a lower voltage right?

low voltage is good.
If the voltage is low you can usually increase it more than when it's already high to start with. And increasing the voltage always increases the stability, therefore allowing higher clock speeds.

Ahh that looks like the sam ram I got only in 512 sticks. I would think that MB should support 2.1V. It looks like a quality motherboard I know my ASUS board can support up to 2.65V on ram. So I would think that should at least support 2.4V although i'm not sure were you would find this info. You may try going to ASUS's website and download there manual and it should provide manual voltage setting's minimum and max. Although like I said you should be alright.

Yes thats true but if you increase your voltage outside the manufactures listed spec's you void your warranty

there is no way for them to tell if you have overclocked or overvolted :p

one of the reviews
Cons: Very picky about RAM. Got 2x1GB of GSkill DDR2-800 and wouldn't post at all. Works with 512MB of Corsair ValueSelect DDR2-667 @ 5-5-5-15. Check with Asus's list of known compatible RAM. 1 IDE channel only.

Back
Top Bottom