Ram questions

TreeHugger

In Runtime
OK. I've been hiding in the closet, but i have a few "preschool" level questions about ram. When a mobo says standard ddr: ddr400(pc3200) that means that ram is the most stable?
Also you can put any pc#### ram in a commmon mobo if it is 184 pins?
Like DDR500(pc4000) or something like that? Well what is the best pc or DDR for my mobo:DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI AMD Motherboard - Retail http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136166
?????????
Lastly, as the ddr and pc ratings increase does mhz increase, and latency typically go up=get slower.
So most people get DDR400(pc3200) due to its availibility, stability, and cost?

yeah the most common is DDR400, i don't think u can put in a different pc#### of ram in a slot specied for ddr400 or sumin but not totally sure. the mhz does increase the number after DDR is the mhz 2 my knowledge. for ur mobo i would suggest just getting any type really (i like kingston and corsair) 1gb sticks of ram then if u rich u can the full length and get 4 gb XD but make sure the ram is ddr400 seeing that what ur mobo says it supports

well i have ddr400(pc3200), thinking it was the best type for my mobo, but now im hearing than Mushkin Redline is the best ram for ocing

You can use higher RAM than DDR400 for AMD, however, the speed difference is so small you may not even notice a difference. Better just stick with the DDR400.

thanks for answering my "primary" level questions. I was going to ask the techie at work that helped me build my computer, but I didn't want to make it seem like i was doubting his help on my component selection.

u can put any ram, but if it's faster than what the mobo supports it's going to run at the mobos max speed. Some ppl get faster ram than the max of the mobo so that the ram will oc better.

And as AOD said the number after the ddr is the mhz.

Back
Top Bottom