Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12
Send a message via MSN to piirka
Default RAM question.

ive been told in the past 1 g bar kits are better than 2g bar kits, please discuss if 2g bar kits are better i want to know so i can opt for that instead of my 6x1gig ddr3's. i mean does vista even let you use 12 gig of ram? i thought it was maxed at 6 gig.. i could be very wrong just what ive heard from a few diffrent forums. so please help guys! any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

And also whats the advantage of RAID? i havnt researched much at all on it and was wondering if it made a difference performance wise and was worth the extra money?

Anyway heres what ive got so far.. almost complete! cant wait to start puting her together!

i7 Build configuration


NZXT Tempest Case
$169.00

Intel Core i7 920
$425.00

CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler
$89.00

Samsung 500GB 7200rpm SATA II HD502IJ
$89.00

Asustek Geforce GTX295 1792MB 896bit DDR3 pcie2.0 576Mhz 2DVI HDCP HDTV HDMI $782.54 (Going SLI in future when i get a 40-50 incher)

x2 Patriot 3GB (3 x 1GB) PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 RAM - 8-8-8-24 - Viper Series

$220.70


ASUS P6T Motherboard
$325.00

Acer 24Wide 1920x1200 1080p 2ms 400cd m2 50K:1 HDMI HDCP NTSC G24 24Wide

$572.19

Speed ATX 800W Power Supply with Low Noise Cooling Fan System
$145.00

Pioneer DVR-217 SATA DVDRW OEM
$39.00


total - $2855 (Aus price)
__________________

piirka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
rohan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,087
Default Re: RAM question.

It depends on your motherboard. You need a 64 bit OS to use more than 4GB of RAM. I'm going to save you some money.

1) Get rid of the V8. You won't need it unless you're overclocking.
2) Stick with 1333Mhz RAM. From what I hear, it's the sweet spot for performance and money.
3) That 295 is currently overkill. You're going to have a resolution of 1900x1200 when you get that big of a t.v. A good Core 216 or 4870 setup can handle that. You can even go multi GPU on them.
4) If you're really set on a 295 SLI setup, get a different power supply. You're going to be needing more than 800W for that setup with an i7 rig.
5) Get the V2 version of your motherboard.
__________________

__________________
Macook 13.3

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
Grantofhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,762
Default Re: RAM question.

I'd say about 1200-1300 watts - if you plan to SLI the 295.
__________________
RD-PC -//- i7 950 // Evga x58 SLI // 3x2 OCZ PC3-12800 // 2x Evga GTX470 // Corsair HX850 // SilverStone TJ07
Grantofhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: RAM question.

For RAM I think you should go with a 3x2GB kit of 1333MHz RAM.

RAID is pretty much your HDDs working together to increase performance. That is the most common RAID and is actually known as RAID0. There are other array formats that allow you to do different things.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12
Send a message via MSN to piirka
Default Re: RAM question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan23 View Post
It depends on your motherboard. You need a 64 bit OS to use more than 4GB of RAM. I'm going to save you some money.

1) Get rid of the V8. You won't need it unless you're overclocking.
2) Stick with 1333Mhz RAM. From what I hear, it's the sweet spot for performance and money.
3) That 295 is currently overkill. You're going to have a resolution of 1900x1200 when you get that big of a t.v. A good Core 216 or 4870 setup can handle that. You can even go multi GPU on them.
4) If you're really set on a 295 SLI setup, get a different power supply. You're going to be needing more than 800W for that setup with an i7 rig.
5) Get the V2 version of your motherboard.
Yeah i do plan on overcloak actualy hehe, im planing on geting the i7920 to 4ghz hopefully, and also i hear ATI die alot lol and than nividia are more stable and perform better.
its my gaming/home threater rig i think im going to need the extra power for crysis and new games coming out to max them on the big screen LG 42" Full Integrated HD LCDTV hehe.

and yeah ive been told to get a diffrent psu from a few people, and also been shown this PSU from a few they have recomended it

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=10905 its a Corsair TX-850 850watt psu

what do you guys think?
piirka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: RAM question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piirka View Post
i hear ATI die alot lol and than nividia are more stable and perform better.
MYTH!
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: RAM question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
I'd say about 1200-1300 watts - if you plan to SLI the 295.
a core i7 plus GTX295 quad SLI setup pulls less than 700w at load, it wouldn't be very efficient to get a psu with more than 1000w, any high end 850w-1000w psu should do, I've never heard of "speed" psus, so I would stay away from that and get a name brand high end unit (Corsair, Antec, etc.)...
__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12
Send a message via MSN to piirka
Default Re: RAM question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
a core i7 plus GTX295 quad SLI setup pulls less than 700w at load, it wouldn't be very efficient to get a psu with more than 1000w, any high end 850w-1000w psu should do, I've never heard of "speed" psus, so I would stay away from that and get a name brand high end unit (Corsair, Antec, etc.)...
sweet thanks for the addvice, im geting a corsair 850 psu ive been told there a top notch psu for my build! anyway im gona order my parts later this month or early next month! so ill post pics of my buld, btw anyone know if i7's and gtx295 prices will drop soon?
piirka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: RAM question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piirka View Post
sweet thanks for the addvice, im geting a corsair 850 psu ive been told there a top notch psu for my build! anyway im gona order my parts later this month or early next month! so ill post pics of my buld, btw anyone know if i7's and gtx295 prices will drop soon?
this one...? Corsair 850w or an 850w Antec Signature series psu would be fine for your system...
__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #10
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12
Send a message via MSN to piirka
Default Re: RAM question.

yup thats the one!
__________________

piirka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0