Ram question

Impruv

In Runtime
I have 2 sticks of DDR2 512 Memory sticks and I have 2 open slots. I wanna add another gig of ram into this machine. The current 2 sticks of ram are 3200;.
I'm just wondering if the ram I buy has to be 3200 as well; or can it be DDR2 512mb and say; 533 or something..

So bascially I have this and want to add OCZ Value ...will it work?

it should work fine, but there is no point in getting 533mhz ram when the old one is 400mhz, because all of the ram sticks will work at the same speed, and ofcourse since the slower ones can't go much faster, the faster sticks will be downclocked.

So if I were u I'd just get 400mhz ddr2 ram, because it will give u the exactly same performance, but will be cheaper. And u can't be 100% sure that rams with different speeds always work in the same computer.

I have never experienced the newer DDR SDRAM before with mismatched speeds. Like Mammikoura said, it could downclock to the slowest speed of the slowest RAM or it won't work at all. I know for sure the older PC133 did when you mismatch it to PC100. To be safe, I always go with all PC3200. All the systems that I built for myself and other people always use same speed for all the RAMs. Works great.

alrite; thx for the help...wow i'm surprised this thread got to the 1st page since the dates were going weird...

Back
Top Bottom