Ram Question

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
Ok, my motherboard says that it supports 184pin DDR type ram. Now When I look for this kind of ram i see 184pin DDR SDRAM and 184pin DDR RDRAM (16-Bit).

Does it matter which of those two kinds of ram I choose for my system? Will they both work? If they will both work, which is better?

I'd go for SDRAM. I haven't heard of RDRAM though found this:

http://www.rambus.com/products/rdram/

Yours would definetly support SDRAM as this is the standard.
I think RDRAM is for electronic devices and bigger workstations so I doubt your motherboard would support it.

Hope this helps :)

So yeah SDRAM is the way to go. Make sure though you get the bus speed which your motherboard will support. mine for example will go to a max of 3200 speed DDR SDRAM. Some motherboards will allow higher than this, so its best to check before buying.

RD RAM is great at single-tasks i have 128mb rd ram and its not too good for multitasking. i wouldnt really recomend RD RAM AT ALL!

If You Get A Higher Bus Speed Such As 3200 And You Pc Only Takes 2700 It Will Just Default To The Slower Speed. So Dont Worry To Much About It
But If You Can Get The Correct Memory Your Pc Takes It Is Always Best.

Yeah... No point getting more expensive memory though, when it is just going to be dragged down by your motherboard specs...

If you have the motherboard manual, it will tell you the maximum bus speed it'll support. Always try to aim for the highest it can since this will improve speed all round :)

Yes Of Cousre You Are Correct Why Pay More. But Somtimes It Is Not Always The Case Of Paying More Its Paying For Quality.

Yeah I guess, though buying speed 4200 ram or something and your computer only supports 3200, it is a bit of a waste, and is much better to check first. Don't you think? There are loads of good quality ram out there...

Back
Top Bottom