Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 16
Send a message via MSN to chershean_chua
Default RAM Performance

I wanna upgrade my RAM from 3GB 667MHZ (1GB DDR2 800MHZ x1 + 2GB DDR2 667MHZ x1) to:

1. 4GB 667MHZ (2GB DDR2 667MHZ x2)
2. 3GB 800MHZ (1GB DDR2 800MHZ x1 + 2GB DDR2 800MHZ x1)

Can anyone tell me which choice 1, or 2 is better? Thank
__________________

chershean_chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: RAM Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chershean_chua View Post
I wanna upgrade my RAM from 3GB 667MHZ (1GB DDR2 800MHZ x1 + 2GB DDR2 667MHZ x1) to:

1. 4GB 667MHZ (2GB DDR2 667MHZ x2)
2. 3GB 800MHZ (1GB DDR2 800MHZ x1 + 2GB DDR2 800MHZ x1)

Can anyone tell me which choice 1, or 2 is better? Thank
always go for more RAM, the speed difference won't be very noticeable, especially if you have an Intel processor where the RAM speed will be limited by the FSB anyway...

4GB 667MHz actually matches up perfectly with most Intel motherboards anyway because most top out at 1333MHz FSB or less...
__________________

__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 320
Default Re: RAM Performance

^^ what wolvarine said..

What MOBO are you using?

The extra ram, being used in a dual core mobo, will be nicer, than an extra 100MHZ, which you wouldnt notice an improved performance anyway.

As a rule of thumb, I try to use the same types of RAM (make and model), and prefer working in even numbers E.G, 2Gb 4GB 6GB etc, as you normally get the best performance out of them then.
Luke_Uk_Baggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #4
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 16
Send a message via MSN to chershean_chua
Default Re: RAM Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Uk_Baggy View Post
^^ what wolvarine said..

What MOBO are you using?

The extra ram, being used in a dual core mobo, will be nicer, than an extra 100MHZ, which you wouldnt notice an improved performance anyway.

As a rule of thumb, I try to use the same types of RAM (make and model), and prefer working in even numbers E.G, 2Gb 4GB 6GB etc, as you normally get the best performance out of them then.
Yup I am using a dual core motherboard which runs the Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300 2.6GHZ... If I wanted to change to a total of 4GB 800MHZ (2GB 800MHZ x2), it would cost SGD$120. If I took the 4GB 667MHZ (2GB 667MHZ x2) or the 3GB 800MHZ (1GB 800MHZ x1 + 1GB 800MHZ x1), it would cost only $60 as I already have 1 stick of 2GB 667MHZ and another stick of 1GB 800MHZ. My motherboard only has 2 RAM slots...
chershean_chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
wol-va-rine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,104
Default Re: RAM Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chershean_chua View Post
Yup I am using a dual core motherboard which runs the Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300 2.6GHZ... If I wanted to change to a total of 4GB 800MHZ (2GB 800MHZ x2), it would cost SGD$120. If I took the 4GB 667MHZ (2GB 667MHZ x2) or the 3GB 800MHZ (1GB 800MHZ x1 + 1GB 800MHZ x1), it would cost only $60 as I already have 1 stick of 2GB 667MHZ and another stick of 1GB 800MHZ. My motherboard only has 2 RAM slots...
yeah, just get another 2GB stick of the same RAM you already have and you should be good to go, if uoi can't get that exact same stick you should look for some that have the same latency and voltages if possible...
__________________
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 16
Send a message via MSN to chershean_chua
Default Re: RAM Performance

Ok... Thanks for the advice. Will b updating ur once I have upgraded my computer at the end of 2010. Thanks alot...
__________________

chershean_chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0