RAM Help

tinymonkey

Solid State Member
Hey everyone,

I got a pretty old school P4 1.8 GHz proccessor with 512 RAM. I got 2 256 RAM from a buddy of mine. I put in one 256 and everything works fine unless im playing cs or something. If i start to play cs after maybe 10-15 minutes or so my computer just crashes...if i overclock will that allow me to have the 768 RAM or do I need to update something else to pull that off

Thanks

If you overclock it, it probably will crash more often.....If you mean you start to play CS with 512, Its probably the ram stick itself

no cs is fine with 512...its when i try with 768 that it crashes...what would i need to use it with 768...is it even worth it?

I would remove the original 512 stick and run it with only the 256 that seems to be causing trouble. If it starts crashing, you know that the 256 ram is bad. Try a memory tester out there that will do a complete check on your memory.

I don't know about you lot, but people get alot of problems when running with uneven amounts of RAM. I'd honestly stick with even amounts:

For example 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048 etc

So yeah, just keep it with 512mb and it'll be fine

Kage said:
I don't know about you lot, but people get alot of problems when running with uneven amounts of RAM. I'd honestly stick with even amounts:

For example 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048 etc

So yeah, just keep it with 512mb and it'll be fine

I've never had a problem, unless it's dual channel (which would still run, but in single channel mode). Really, those days are gone, and should work all fine. Last time I got this problem was in the old days of using Simms and Pentium CPU's together.

Do some sort of memory scan to check the memory.

Yeah, though I still wouldn't :p

I know it wouldn't really cause a problem though. I just think it sounds better if you have an even number hehe.

As for the RAM. This seems to be cropping up more and more with RAM modules failing and not working correctly. I thought RAM was actually usually rather stable.... Anyhow, yeah, do what Connchri says if you can.

If you can test a stick of RAM, this might be the best ticket.

Back
Top Bottom