Ram Configuration Question

TacoJoe77

Beta member
Alright so currently I have 4gb of DDR2 800 ram in my pc (4 x 1gb)... I want to work my way up to 8 but i cant afford to buy all 8 at one time so... Im going to buy 4gb (2 x 2gb) first. So my configuration will be the 2 x 2gb and 2x 1gb. My question is... if I buy dual channel ram, will the dual channel feature be utilized? (assuming i have one 2gb card in socket 1 and the other in socket 3 while the 1gb cards are in sockets 2 and 4)

I think that will work but I am not 100% sure. I'll let someone else confirm it (or not).

edit - after some quick research I found that, yes, it does work but if your newer RAM modules are faster, they will be scaled back to the speed of your original DDR2-800's.

just to be safe keep the matching sticks in their sets, the two 2GB sticks on one channel, the two 1GB sticks in the other channel, then yes, it will definitely run in dual channel, check your motherboard's manual, some motherboards want the sticks in the same colored slots and on others you have to put them in different colored slots to have them on the same channel...

Back
Top Bottom