RAM compatibility

Ev0SX

Beta member
Here's the deal, i'm looking to upgrade my RAM and CPU soon
The issue is my motherboard (Asus P5KPL-AM) specs seem to be telling me that my motherboard is compatible with 667/800/1066(O.C) speeds of RAM. Now considering im on 667mhz at the moment that is of course no problem, but i'm looking to upgrade to 1066mhz... but what does the (O.C) mean on the specification? I'd assume it means overclock, but what do i need to overclock and why do i need to do it in order for my MB to support 1066mhz RAM? Maybe i've misinterpreted, but Asus sure aren't telling me :confused: Help please!

Thanks in advance :p

It should be a simple matter of increasing the RAM multiplier to get the intended RAM speed.

FSB X RAM Multiplier = RAM Speed.

O.C. stands for overclock so you are correct there. From what I know, the DDR2 specification only goes up to 800mhz. Anything over that is overclocked RAM. You can buy DDR2 RAM that is clocked to 1066mhz and use it if your motherboard supports it. You can sometimes overclock your RAM manually in the BIOS.

I'm personally using 800mhz Kingston memory. I never dealt with anything faster.

truthfully 800MHz RAM is more than enough for that board, it's an Intel chipset so the RAM will be limited by the FSB anyway, overclocking that board to accommodate 800MHz RAM would be an accomplishment, 500+ FSBs are not common, and probably even more rare (if ever) on that board...

O.C. stands for overclock so you are correct there. From what I know, the DDR2 specification only goes up to 800mhz. Anything over that is overclocked RAM. You can buy DDR2 RAM that is clocked to 1066mhz and use it if your motherboard supports it. You can sometimes overclock your RAM manually in the BIOS.

I'm personally using 800mhz Kingston memory. I never dealt with anything faster.

Kingston makes DDR2 ram now that is 1066mhz. It's the hyperx and actually not anymore expensive than their 800mhz...26 dollars on newegg. I think the specs were written when tehre wasn't 1066mhz ddr2, so it should be able to take that. Though I agree that 800mhz should be enough.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...17&cm_re=kingston_ddr2-_-20-134-217-_-Product
nice timings too

Back
Top Bottom