RAM Compatibility

FatMan1

Baseband Member
Is it true that you can use faster ram than your mobo will support but it will automatically lower the speed so it can use it?

Because I need an upgrade for my old computer that uses 184 pin, 266(2100). Now I see lots of 184 pin at best buy but they don't have the right speed. Can I use this faster memory on my mobo?

Yeah im preety sure you can, like you said the speed will slow down to what you motherboard supports. Wait for others to reply im not 100% sure though.

On older motherboards, you may get stability problems.
Its definetely not the best thing to do, but yes, most motherboards will be able to slow the RAM down.

Saying that though, because the system has to do this, like I said above, you may get alot of problems, like crashing, etc.

Yeah, thanks for the answers guys. My mobo is pretty old (5 years). It's even been discontinued by intel. I think I'll just get the recommended speed off of newegg. Cheaper and pretty much sure thing it'll work.

Thanks.

Yeah, thats the best way :)

If its 5 years, you'd of probably got a problem anyways because at that time, RAM speeds probably didn't go up much higher, and so the motherboard wouldn't be better built.

what is strange, is that my friend has a pentium 2 450mhz computer, with 768mb of ram. Im guessing its faster than the motherboard supports, and his computer crashes. Does his computer crash because he might have faster ram than intended?

Could be yes. it could also be because the RAM is faulty. One of the two :p

Plus, some older motherboards don't like RAM thats off from standard like 128mb/256mb/512mb/1gb, etc.

Yeah, that RAM should be fine :) Crucial aren't too bad I don't think :p

Back
Top Bottom