RAM or Clock Speed (ghz)

GadgetDude01

Solid State Member
I am soon to be buying a laptop and am still torn between 2. The only difference is that one has 2.53ghz and 6gb RAM and the other has 2.1ghz and 8gb RAM. I will be using it for schoolwork (Microsoft Office), music (iTunes), video and photo editing, and I will have lots of program's. So which would be better for me?

i would actually go for the extra mhz. maybe just my personal preference.
but 6gig is just fine if you are not playing with heavy duty programs and more of them at once or massive multitasking.
i think the extra 400mhz will be more noticeable then 2gb extra RAM (that is if the RAM speed and CPU architecture is the same)

Edit:
btw. i have 6gig

Last edited:
EchoNatek said:
i would actually go for the extra mhz. maybe just my personal preference.
but 6gig is just fine if you are not playing with heavy duty programs and more of them at once or massive multitasking.
i think the extra 400mhz will be more noticeable then 2gb extra RAM (that is if the RAM speed and CPU architecture is the same)

What would more MHz Or RAM do?

More RAM would help you multitask better. More MHz is better for processor intensive tasks.

more RAM will make the computer remember more stuff.
programs takes memory, so more and more programs require that you have the RAM needed to run it all.
so for multitasking it's great to have more RAM (as ohsnapworld said). but it also depends on what you are multitasking with. having 7 taps in chrome and running steam and skype does not take more then 4gb including the operation system. but if you did all that with a video being rendering in the background while downloading stuff, is something else. i have had a big video rendering + a big video converting + 4 taps in chrome + steam and other background apps like antivirus running with my 6gig RAM with no problems. so i think you will be fine.
other then that the computer use the RAM to remember parts of closed applications/tasks so you can open them faster next time. try to open photoshop and close it, then open it again and see if it was faster this time to open. i just did, and it was like 4x faster. if i wait 1 hour and keep on working then maybe it will only be 2x faster because of it is gonna use more and more ram, so it needs to get rid of more and more already stored data. the more memory it has the less data it needs to get rid of when you are working with other stuff.

Mhz on the CPU is how fast the brain thinks. compressing and decompressing files takes allot of brain power. so like if you want to open a zip file, the faster brain your PC has, the faster you can use the files that are compressed in the zip folder. also rendering images takes cpu power. (if it is not GPU accelerated) general tasks as opening files and loading maps in a games will also be faster with more mhz on the CPU. almost EVERY thing will be faster.

EchoNatek said:
more RAM will make the computer remember more stuff.
programs takes memory, so more and more programs require that you have the RAM needed to run it all.
so for multitasking it's great to have more RAM (as ohsnapworld said). but it also depends on what you are multitasking with. having 7 taps in chrome and running steam and skype does not take more then 4gb including the operation system. but if you did all that with a video being rendering in the background while downloading stuff, is something else. i have had a big video rendering + a big video converting + 4 taps in chrome + steam and other background apps like antivirus running with my 6gig RAM with no problems. so i think you will be fine.
other then that the computer use the RAM to remember parts of closed applications/tasks so you can open them faster next time. try to open photoshop and close it, then open it again and see if it was faster this time to open. i just did, and it was like 4x faster. if i wait 1 hour and keep on working then maybe it will only be 2x faster because of it is gonna use more and more ram, so it needs to get rid of more and more already stored data. the more memory it has the less data it needs to get rid of when you are working with other stuff.

Mhz on the CPU is how fast the brain thinks. compressing and decompressing files takes allot of brain power. so like if you want to open a zip file, the faster brain your PC has, the faster you can use the files that are compressed in the zip folder. also rendering images takes cpu power. (if it is not GPU accelerated) general tasks as opening files and loading maps in a games will also be faster with more mhz on the CPU. almost EVERY thing will be faster.

Ok so both have good RAM but will 2.1ghz be decent and which would you say I should choose?

Back
Top Bottom