which RAM is better?

Kalgatha

Fully Optimized
ok...when i first built my system i put a stick of CORSAIR XMS 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000) ... but recently i bought CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) and put in there... now me being the novice that i am thought that it would register all the sticks of ram in my computer totaling for 1.5 gigs of ram...but apparently it don't work like that ... when i have the gig of cheap ram in it doesn't register my expensive ram...but when i don't have the cheap ram in it does... i wanna know which one im better off having running... the gig of cheap ram or the 512mb of expensive ram...thanx

If you have two 512 paired Corsair Sticks, running Dual Channel, it is supposed to work better than one Stick, no matter the pair is value Ram.

DDR 400 pc5000 is the new DDR2 ram...
DDR 400 pc3200 is the plain DDR ram...
You CANNOT mix the ram like that...Rule is that your system will only use the lowest speed of ram and disreguard the faster stick...period...no getting around that...
Now the issue is....does your motherboard support DDR2 ram...you need to check your specs on that.
As some support both some don't. but if you are using it and it isn't supported then it reverts back to plain ddr as the sticks are backward compatable. But you will not be able to support anything other than pc3200 no dual ram or anything like that.

Lurk is right, is better to check specs.
Your motherboard only supports Single Channel DDR 400(Aopen AK86L).

ok...so i have 2 sticks of 512 dual channel... 1 stick of xms 512 extreme speed...and b/c my motherboard doesnt' support dual channel my dual channel will only run single channel right?... so which would be better to put in ...dual channel runnin at single channel or xms extreme speed?

hehe...im plannin on builden my friend a system and puttin my dual channel in his computer and getting another stick of xms for mine :)

Back
Top Bottom