RAM : 2GB Dual Channel or 3GB

keshavkd

Solid State Member
I have a Gig of RAM, (1GB DDR2 DYNET 800 Mhz) and was wondering whether i've to go with the extra Gig or two more. (transcend)
So heres my question.
Performance wise, which is better?
Having 2 x 1GB or 1 x 2GB + 1 x 1GB = 3GB
(going to start gaming which is why. I also use photoshop once in a while.)

Dual Channel will give greater performance then having only Single Channel.
so you should go with a 2x1 kit.
or you might as well just go with a 2x2 gig kit. i don't think they are much more expensive.

if you are buying 2x1 kit with greater speed then 800mhz, then don't use your old ram.
it will make the new faster RAM downgrade to 800mhz.
also in general you should not mix RAM because it can give stability problems.
but you can ofcourse try. it worked for me.

The thing is I cant 'try'. But what would be better, a 2GB or a 3GB? (that is, 1GB + 2GB) will the stability issues hit hard? Going to buy any at 800 Mhz only.

well, 3 will be better then 2. as long you use the 2 new sticks in Dual Channel Mode.
will the stability be hit hard: ether it will not hit it at all or just a little... or it will fuck everything up. but if so you can always just take the old one out.

Forget about that vulgar sh*t. Doesnt effect anybody. :p

but the point is i can buy 1GB instead of 2GB and save some cash.

So in my situation, should i now buy a gig of ram or 2?

if it is a budget, then personal i would buy one extra similar ram as the one you already have.
(important that it is same brand and mhz, also model if you can)
so you would have 2 gigs in total. remember to put them in Dual Channel.

The thing is I have the budget. I can buy a 2GB DDR2. But Im just saying that if a 2GB is risky and is not what I should be looking forward to and 1GB is more risk free and good then Id obviously prefer the 1GB. But i cant find the same brand. That is I cant find a dynet 1gb ram in my place. So would that hit hard on performance.

Back
Top Bottom