Ram

Pancake92

Baseband Member
This is probably a noob-ish question to ask about RAM, but could anyone explain to me what Triple-Channeled RAM is? Also, what is the difference between Dual-Channeled RAM and Triple-Channeled RAM? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers

On most motherboards, there are 4 slots, usually separated into 2 colors or 2 pairs of slots. When you only use 1 stick of ram in any one of the slots, it's single channel. but if you use 1 or more sticks of RAM of any of the other slots, it's dual channel. Now pretty much goes the same if you are using a board like for the newer i7. you have three sets of RAM slots for RAM, and if you put a stick in each of the three sets of slots, you are now running triple channel. It's actually a little bit less confusing because you can't run single channel or dual channel. You can only run triple channel. Make sense?

On most motherboards, there are 4 slots, usually separated into 2 colors or 2 pairs of slots. When you only use 1 stick of ram in any one of the slots, it's single channel. but if you use 1 or more sticks of RAM of any of the other slots, it's dual channel. Now pretty much goes the same if you are using a board like for the newer i7. you have three sets of RAM slots for RAM, and if you put a stick in each of the three sets of slots, you are now running triple channel. It's actually a little bit less confusing because you can't run single channel or dual channel. You can only run triple channel. Make sense?

Well, not according to Wiki. But it's not a very in depth posting on there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-channel_architecture

EDIT: My bad. I was a tad wrong but I see what the wiki is getting at. The newest i5 and i7 processors run dual channel or single channel DDR3. That is reserved for P55 Mobos only. LGA 1366 i7 procs only use triple channel RAM. At least only officially from what I understand. But I'm pretty sure there's some ways to get around it. Sry about that.

EDIT 2: Also, I don't know what the article was talking about with triple channel AM3 CPUs. To my knowledge, there is no such thing available yet. Am I wrong?

Yeah, the old vs new i7 crap is confusing. I don't really get it either.

I think you only misread the AMD stuff. It's actually saying that they do not use DDR3 triple channel, rather, DDR3 dual-channel.

AMD Socket AM3 processors do not use the DDR3 triple-channel architecture, but use DDR3 dual-channel memory kits instead.

Yeah, the old vs new i7 crap is confusing. I don't really get it either.

I think you only misread the AMD stuff. It's actually saying that they do not use DDR3 triple channel, rather, DDR3 dual-channel.

YES, the AMD AM3 motherboards and CPUs only use single or dual channel DDR3 on select motherboards. Some AM3 motherboards, run single or dual channel DDR2.

NO, the socket LGA 1156 (Socket P55(8xx series)) do NOT run triple channel DDR3. Only dual or single channel DDR3.

YES, the LGA 1366 (X58 Chipset(pxx series)) DO run triple channel DDR3 only. At least officially.

You should sign up and change the wiki article. I think we just made more sense of it than Wiki did. hahaha.

So, wait. If you're running an LGA1366 MB and only put in one stick of RAM, it won't run? It won't even run single channel?...

You should sign up and change the wiki article. I think we just made more sense of it than Wiki did. hahaha.

So, wait. If you're running an LGA1366 MB and only put in one stick of RAM, it won't run? It won't even run single channel?...

Well that's why I said it will only officially run DDR3 triple channel. But I am sure there are probably some ways to get around it. I have never experimented with the X58 chipset and core i7 1366 platform so I have no idea if it would work. But then again, I don't know why anyone would do that in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom