Ram

Zapdos

In Runtime
Hey, since new applications are requiring more ram I thought i might step my PC up a notch. Right now I have 1gig and i would like to get 2more gigs so all togeather I will have 3 gigs. So I want your opinions on these two companies "Azen" and "COMSTAR". Also I wanna know what the difference is between 400mhz and 533mhz and if i should buy a gig stick thats 400mhz or spend a extra money for a 533mhz stick. And I like to play lots of games. Thanks for the help

First of all, RAM that is rated at 400mhz is only DDR, whereas 533 and above is DDR2...which means unless you have a motherboard which supports DDR2 and CPU, then the highest you can go is DDR400 (PC3200), and upon checking your motherboard in your signature, it says that its Memory Standard is DDR 400, which means u must get 400.....

On a more advanced note, another give away to whether you need DDR2 or DDR RAM is on the CPU, if the CPU is Socket 939, it will be DDR, if it's AM2, it will be DDR2...

Matt

EDIT: As for manufacturer, i wouldn't go with the ones you stated, but look into Corsair, Kingston and OCZ.

Really, you don't need 3 gb of ram. If you go up to 2 that will be fine. You won't see much performance gain with 3 gb unless you are rendering video or something like that. Your not going to see performance gain in games.

As for those brands, I've never heard of them, and if I were you, I'd go with a trusted brand like the ones mentioned above.

Azen and Comstar are companies like others. They're great.

Now, mammikoura, DDRII-400 will not work on his build.

I would recommend to stick to DDR400, because if you buy DDR533, it will be clocked down to the lowest speed, in your case, DDR400. If you want DDR533, buy the entire kit of 3GB.

To what Tommy Boy said, if you plan to use Vista, 3GB is going to be good. People with 2GB experiences lags.

the ram I have now is two 512mb sticks of Kingston pc3200 184 pin. So I should buy a 400mhz ram stick of 1gb from a different known brand?

Zapdos said:
the ram I have now is two 512mb sticks of Kingston pc3200 184 pin. So I should buy a 400mhz ram stick of 1gb from a different known brand?
Yes, that is what you should do. But first make sure that your motherboard will support 1gb sticks. Look for brands like, Kingston, Corsair, OCZ, Crucial.
And if you aren't looking to overclock or anything like that, some valuram will work just fine. It's a little cheaper than the good stuff. Depends on what you want to spend really.

mammikoura said:
agreed with tommy boy. 2gb is enough and don't go with those weird random brands.

And Mattyl110792
you are incorrect about the stuff. ddr can be faster than 400mhz.
For example this is 550mhz.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145028

And there is also ddr2 400.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820161633

And though it says that memory standard is ddr400, any ddr will work.

I consider myself corrected lol...sorry bout that, but i must remember that

Matt

Back
Top Bottom