Ram

PaperPlunger

In Runtime
I have 1gig of PQI RAM, and I am in the process of getting another. The problem though, is the ram i'm using has apparently been discontinued on newegg.com, so I'm not sure what to do. I figured I could just get another 1 gig and it'd work fine, but I was just wondering about it's timing's. My ram right now has a cas latency of 2.5, timings are 2.5-3-3-5 What would happen if I got a stick with slightly different timings, and a different brand. i.e. this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231031

the timings are slightly different... so would it speed up, slow down or something else?

They will both run at the lower timings of the PQI memory. Not really a bad thing as you wont see any real world difference in performance. :D

I'm sure you could fine your RAM on another sit besides newegg. Also, brands suggest that you don't mix brands of RAM because of stability issues, but its not a huge deal. Your best bet is to find your RAM and buy it elsewhere. If not though, it is fine if you buy that one.

Actually, brands suggesting not to mix em up is a joke. Timings are the only problem. If you have the same speeds of transfer, that's all you need. The rest, will be running at the slowest RAM stick. Nothing wrong.

Back
Top Bottom