Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
Solid State Member
 
gXinfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 12
Send a message via AIM to gXinfinity
Default RAM: 1.5 GB Single-channel vs. 1 GB Dual?

Just installed a matched set of Corsair Dual Channel XMS PC3200 DDR 400 512's for 1 GB Dual. The question - will it be better overall performance to leave it as the 1 GB Dual or add in my old 512 [CAS matches] stick which the system registers as a total of 1.5 GB Single RAM?
__________________

gXinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,581
Default Re: RAM: 1.5 GB Single-channel vs. 1 GB Dual?

try some bench marks they will tell you.
__________________

__________________
Core i7 2600K Sandybridge + Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler ₪ Asus P8P67 DELUXE ₪ G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ₪ Crossfire 5870's ₪ OCZ GameXstream 850w ₪ X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS edition ₪ OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ₪ Antec P182 ₪ NAS ReadyDuo 4Tb ₪ BenQ FP241WZ 24" Widescreen LCD ₪ Windows 7 x64
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
Solid State Member
 
gXinfinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 12
Send a message via AIM to gXinfinity
Default Re: RAM: 1.5 GB Single-channel vs. 1 GB Dual?

Which one is more directly linked to RAM - 3DMark05 or PCMark05?
gXinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
kev
In Runtime
 
kev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 472
Default Re: RAM: 1.5 GB Single-channel vs. 1 GB Dual?

dual chan is better
__________________
Motherboard - ASUS P4P800 SE / Intel P4 3.0Ghz @ 3.6Ghz w/ HT 800Mhz FSB @ 960Mhz
RAM -1gig (512x2) GeIL PC3200 In Dual Chan @ 480Mhz
GPU - PNY GeForce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 (500mhz Core @ 550mhz / 900mhz @ 1000mhz memory)
Sound Card - Creative Labs Audigy 2 Value
Harddrives - Seagate 300GB SATA150 / WD 120gb 3DMark03 Score- 8685 3DMark05 Score - 3392 AquaMark3 Score - 52,275
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: RAM: 1.5 GB Single-channel vs. 1 GB Dual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gXinfinity
Which one is more directly linked to RAM - 3DMark05 or PCMark05?
Most likely PcMark05.
__________________
0_o
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
In Runtime
 
Quinton McLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 298
Default Re: RAM: 1.5 GB Single-channel vs. 1 GB Dual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gXinfinity
Just installed a matched set of Corsair Dual Channel XMS PC3200 DDR 400 512's for 1 GB Dual. The question - will it be better overall performance to leave it as the 1 GB Dual or add in my old 512 [CAS matches] stick which the system registers as a total of 1.5 GB Single RAM?

Let me help clarify a few things.

You cannot dual channel 3 sticks of ram.
If you dual channel, the ram will be synchronized and work about 15% faster than traditional ram.

Adding more ram only means that more data can be stored in memory.

Benefits: You can run more programs simultanousely without memory constraints

Counterpositives: Your games will not perform much faster


------------------
Dual Channeling memory means the CPU can access the memory faster.

Benefits: Your games will operate much quicker, and load times will be shorter


Counterpositives: It doesn't do much for programs that require a lot of memory; nor does it help if you have tons of programs loaded


__________________
The best quotes I've ever heard:
RaistlinZ - "I think God woke up one day (probably around Noon. dude likes to sleep in) and said to himself, "OMFG, these dinosaurs are just kicking too much ass. The world is not ready for them yet." "
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: RAM: 1.5 GB Single-channel vs. 1 GB Dual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinton McLeod

Let me help clarify a few things.

You cannot dual channel 3 sticks of ram.
If you dual channel, the ram will be synchronized and work about 15% faster than traditional ram.

Adding more ram only means that more data can be stored in memory.

Benefits: You can run more programs simultanousely without memory constraints

Counterpositives: Your games will not perform much faster


------------------
Dual Channeling memory means the CPU can access the memory faster.

Benefits: Your games will operate much quicker, and load times will be shorter


Counterpositives: It doesn't do much for programs that require a lot of memory; nor does it help if you have tons of programs loaded


I believe that he knows that he can't dual channel 3 sticks.
See the title? 1.5 GB Single-channel vs. 1 GB Dual?
__________________
0_o
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
In Runtime
 
Quinton McLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 298
Default Re: RAM: 1.5 GB Single-channel vs. 1 GB Dual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammikoura
I believe that he knows that he can't dual channel 3 sticks.
See the title? 1.5 GB Single-channel vs. 1 GB Dual?


Ok... Would you like to point out anything else? :P
__________________
The best quotes I've ever heard:
RaistlinZ - "I think God woke up one day (probably around Noon. dude likes to sleep in) and said to himself, "OMFG, these dinosaurs are just kicking too much ass. The world is not ready for them yet." "
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:29 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: RAM: 1.5 GB Single-channel vs. 1 GB Dual?

Methinksd the 1GB will dual channel and the 512 will not...but they will work
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:01 AM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,581
Default Re: RAM: 1.5 GB Single-channel vs. 1 GB Dual?

have you tried those benchmarks yet?
__________________

__________________
Core i7 2600K Sandybridge + Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler ₪ Asus P8P67 DELUXE ₪ G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ₪ Crossfire 5870's ₪ OCZ GameXstream 850w ₪ X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS edition ₪ OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ₪ Antec P182 ₪ NAS ReadyDuo 4Tb ₪ BenQ FP241WZ 24" Widescreen LCD ₪ Windows 7 x64
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0