RAID drivers and nLite...

dan7777

In Runtime
I have a 160gb harddrive that I'm going to install windows on. I also have two 250gb drives. I want to RAID 1 the 250gb drives and keep all of my general data on them, whilst keeping windows and programs separate on the 160gb drive.

I don't have a floppy drive, so I can't use th3 f6 function when installing windows to install a RAID driver. So, I'm trying to slipstream the drivers to nLite.

When I install windows should I still press f6, and then find the drivers on the cd? Or will nLite install everything correctly?

Also, do I even need to do things like this? I'm not RAIDing the windows drive, just the to separate drives.

Thanks for any help!

The only time you need to install a RAID driver during an OS install is if you are installing the OS onto the RAID array itself.

Because your installing the OS on the 160GB drive there's no need to install the RAID driver during the OS install with F6. You can install the RAID driver when in the OS using the CD.

Also I think the set up you propose is great. Especially if you have info you want to protect.

Cool, thanks.

I'm not to sure how to set up the RAID on the separate disks though. I go to my BIOS and set them to RAID in the BIOS, but when I boot windows, the disks are still shown individually.

Do I need to set up anything in Windows to recognize them as a RAID array?

Cheers.

You might have to turn on the RAID controller in the BIOS. I have 2 controllers and I have one controller 'Enabled' in the BIOS for my RAID 1 array.

Once it's turned on you then access the RAID controller after POST checks with a function key. For me it's F4.

This is the kind of set-up I have on my motherboard.

Let me know what motherboard you have.

I've got a P5N32 sli plus. Yeah, I've enabled RAID in the BIOS, but it doesn't seem to change anything in windows.

Any suggestions anyone?

Once you've set the RAID array up do this.

Click on Start, then right click on My Computer. Click on Manage, then in the big window click on Storage, then Disk Management(Local).

Any drive in this list that is in black needs to be partitioned.

Once you have partitioned & formatted the array here it becomes usable.

Back
Top Bottom