raid

RAID 0 is sweet.
If you use it you will see increased speed in processing or accessing the hard drive.
You need 2 or more hard drives. any size for example if you have
250GB and another 250GB you have 500GB. it acts as one big hard drive
The biggest issue is if one of those hard drives fail. they both fail no matter what.

I use a RAID 1 set for my production work and other important files.

I'm going to increase the size soon though from 120G to 500G cause space is limited.

What i'll do is get two 500G drives RAID 1 them and move all my files to that array.

Then RAID 0 the 120G drives to get 240G for OS and programs.

@OP: Your motherboard chip-set supports RAID and it's simple enough to set up. Just decide what array you want.

RAID 0 will give you a theoretical increase in read/write speed but if one drive fails then the information on the other drive becomes useless!

RAID 1 will give you data redundancy - If one drive fails then you still have the same information on the other drive. Although read/write speeds can be a little slow. But to be honest I haven't noticed it.

RAID 0+1 is a combination of the above and will in theory give you the increased read/write speed of RAID 0 and the data redundancy of RAID 1.

:)

its obvious
its been posted all ready
RAID 0+1
i think i will use a mirrored array
RAID 1 i think it is?
with 1 TB of space or maybe even 1.5 TB
i wont care about HDD space efficiency

I think I will use a mirrored array
RAID 1 i think it is?

Yep

With 1 TB of space or maybe even 1.5 TB.
I wont care about HDD space efficiency

Thats a lot of protected hard drive space. Give it another year and i'll have to aquire two 1TB drives for my RAID 1 array.

The thing is there's just so much stuff that I need to keep.

thanks, what one will increase performance and is the safest one

As stated above, you'd use RAID 0+1.

Back
Top Bottom