Raid

freestyler105

Golden Master
For my new build, I have decided to buy 2x250GB WD Caviars. I think I want to use a RAID array, but I need some clarification on a few things.

When you are using RAID 0, is there a performance gain, or is it just joining 2 drives into 1 big drive?

For my purposes, I don't think RAID 1 is practical, I'd rather have the storage than that extra performance, but does anyone know how significant the performance gain is?

My plan is to buy parts while deals pop up, and this 250GB Caviar is only $75 right now. The thing is, I'd like to be able to use it right away with my current build. I'm using an IDE hard drive right now, but can I also add in the SATA drive? I think my motherboard has the ports. What I'd really like to do is put Vista RC2 or OSX on this second drive just to test it out so I don't have to fear for the data on my current drive.

Are these the SATA motherboard connecters?
dsc00651xa7.jpg

yeah those look like SATA to me. Raid 0 has performance gain and raid 1 is more just for protecting files. raid 0 stripes all of your files including programs and everything so everything is cut in half and it goes a lot faster because it's reading two hard drives at once. raid 1 doesn't really go that much faster, it might load things a little quicker, but its slower writing times because it has to write to both hard drives, also raid 1 u only get the hard drive space of the lower hdd. (say u have 100gb and 120gb set up in raid 1, ud only have 100gb of storage)

so u want raid 0, that will make things a lot faster.

im not 100% sure on this, but i think u need to set up raid through the installation of windows after u set it up in ur bios. so if ur planning on installing ur OS on the raid array ull have to start from scratch, but that might not be a big deal.

look up raid in wikipedia, its got some good info if i wasnt clear

The major thing you need to worry about with RAID 0 is that if one drive dies, you loose the data on both drives.

Raid 0 is only recomended if you constantly have a complete backup of your drives.

Okay, now for my new build, do I want to get a motherboard with RAID support or buy a PCI card for it? I looked on Newegg a little bit, but I didn't see many motherboards with RAID support that got good reviews. On the other hand, the PCI cards are relatively expensive.

Basically, could you recommend me either a motherboard with RAID support or a motherboard and a PCI RAID card.

This is what I need:
Socket T (LGA775)
At least 1 PCIe slot
At least 2-4 PCI slots
SATA 3.0 GB/s
DDR2-800

I personally don't recommend a RAID. Simply because both drives are joined together. If a slight problem occurs on one, both will share that problem, besides mechanical.

Add them in the SATA and disable RAID.

Thanks. 3 should be fine, all I need is one for the sound card, one for the network card, and one for a TV tuner. I really wanted a PCI slot cooler, but I can always just take out the network card and use onboard.

The only thing with that is that some of the reviews say it isn't a very good overclocker. I'm also looking at the Asus P5B Deluxe:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131045
A little pricier, but better reviews about overclocking. There's also an open box of the same model for only $145

As for the RAID, I'll be getting the 2x250 gig Caviars either way (it's cheaper than the 500GB Caviar), so I might as well try RAID.

yeah that looks nice

yeah might as well try out how raid is. and if you don't end up keeping raid, 2 hdd's are always better than 1 bigger one. that way u can split ur data across the 2 and if one of them dies u still got half of what u had (but that's only if u dont use raid)

keep in mind, with raid 0, if one hdd dies the other hdd's data is inaccessible. it's the opposite, however, with raid 1.

Back
Top Bottom