Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-29-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
In Runtime

Question raid

i have a 160gb ide hdd (wish i had gone for sata) and i want to use raid. i have a raid thing on my motherboard, enabled it in the cmos and set it up for striping. the only problem is, windows doens't load. it comes up with the screen saying that it didnt load properly last time, i chose either normal of safe mode, and then the computer restarts. any ideas on how to get raid working?

Athlon 64 3500+ with great big massive arctic cooling fan, 2GB DDR RAM, 256MB PCI-E ATI Radion X800 GTO, Hauppage TV Card, 200GB SATA + 165GB IDE Hard Disk Drive, 1GBit Ethernet card, and a lot of operationg systems installed:
WinXP + Win98 + Win3.1 + Debian + CentOS + DSL + Feather linux + Opensuse 10.1 + Grub multiboot.
bigbondfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: raid

u need to have two hard drives that are the same size.

Feircepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
In Runtime

so it will not work with my 40gb?
Athlon 64 3500+ with great big massive arctic cooling fan, 2GB DDR RAM, 256MB PCI-E ATI Radion X800 GTO, Hauppage TV Card, 200GB SATA + 165GB IDE Hard Disk Drive, 1GBit Ethernet card, and a lot of operationg systems installed:
WinXP + Win98 + Win3.1 + Debian + CentOS + DSL + Feather linux + Opensuse 10.1 + Grub multiboot.
bigbondfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Golden Master

The reason why it's good to have matching drives is because of the striping feature. If your 40GB drive gets full but your other 160GB drive still has a lot of space, you will get an error everytime you write to it. What happens with RAID is that the data is broken up and split between two drives to make it fast.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:06 AM   #5
In Runtime

RAID can work with any drive configuration... For example, you can create mirrored volumes (RAID-1) using two drives - A partition on the 40 GB drive can be mirrored onto the 160 GB drive or vice versa for redundency and fault tolerance. But you trade redundency and fault tolerance for less performance.

If you have stripped volumes (RAID-0), then you need to have two partitions (same size) on different drives. Although the fast performance, this configuration is not recommended since the risk of data being lost/corrupted is two times greater - increases with more drives.

There are more RAID configurations out there, but most home users use two HDs for RAID.

Common RAID configurations: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...53ec50634.mspx
AnonymousI is offline   Reply With Quote