Raid 0: Is it worth it?

MooseMan1

Fully Optimized
Hey guys,
I am looking to hear from some people who have experience with raid 0 and what their thoughts are. I am considering buying two 1TB drives and setting up a raid 0 using the build in motherboard raid options, but I want to make sure that it's worth it before I do. Any thoughts or stores appreciated :D

Thanks in advance.

It definitely noticeable increases read/write speed, depends on how much space you actually need. I'm not sure whether 2x 7200 drives in Raid0 would go faster than a 10K or 15K RPM drive?

If you do Raid0, be sure to get reliable drives and/or frequently backup data on a seperate drive. If 1 drives fails in a RAID set-up you're SOL.

If anybody knows if 2x 1TB 7200 RPM drives in RAID0 would be faster than a 15K RPM drive let me know, I'm considering buying a 73GB 15K RPM drive as a boot / program drive.

That's a big risk, if one of those drive fails in the raid setup. All your data will be lost. That is potentially 2TB of Data that you will never get back. Unless you backup all your important data, or get another drive for important data. It would be a big risk. You could try a RAID-5 setup by buying 4 smaller cheaper drives. The Parity speed of a Raid-0 setup with the backup of a Raid-1 setup.

That's a big risk, if one of those drive fails in the raid setup. All your data will be lost. That is potentially 2TB of Data that you will never get back. Unless you backup all your important data, or get another drive for important data. It would be a big risk. You could try a RAID-5 setup by buying 4 smaller cheaper drives. The Parity speed of a Raid-0 setup with the backup of a Raid-1 setup.

This. Like I said in my earlier post;

2TB is a lot to back-up.

'tis why I'm considering a 15K RPM boot/program drive instead.

@computear: Yea I have a 750GB right now that I would be using to do backups of important files.

@zer0Cool: I was planning on buying two 1TB drives (7200RPM) I would say by logic that the 10k and 15k drives would naturally be faster, but idk about a raid 0 7200 vs one 15k drive.

@ isaiahk: I know it's more of a risk, theoretically twice the threat of hardrive failure, but buying two more drives would cost a lot more, I would have to downgrade a lot on performance/space per drive to meet get a similar cost.

Back
Top Bottom