Radeon X1900XTX Overheated !!!

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Hello,

Last night I tried playing BF2, when the game finally loaded, the screen would kind of blink, and then after playing for 5-10 min, the monitor would turn off. At first I thought maybe the in game video settings are bad, or maybe I needed to install all the proper patches....etc. After checking and downloading all the proper drivers/patches it still did the same thing. I then decided to minimize the game to check my vid temp, and when I did, I had a msg. “Warning your card is running above the safe temp”. (I think it was over a 100c) I then turned off my computer and took out the card to take a closer look at it. (I had previously removed the original heat sink from the card, replacing it with the Zalman VF900-Cu VGA Cooler. That was about 4 month ago). When I removed the VGA cooler I found that the thermal paste was very dry, and it looked to me like there should have been more of it…also 1 of the 4 screws (nipples) that was supposed to hold the heat sink to the chipset was kind of broken, it wouldn't tighten, coz by the looks of it, it was too small for the hole. (I wasn't the one who was assembling it in the first place, the store where I gat my comp 7 month ago did it for me, I will try to go over there tomorrow and ask for a new card.)

I then removed the old thermal paste, and laid down the new. I put everything back together, and started my computer. I then saw all kind of different collars on the screen, and words to be misplaced…etc The boot up would go to the point where I would need to put in my password to log in to windows, and then my monitor would turn off !

Not very sure why I am writing this thread, coz it's obvious that my card is history…

From the evidence that I was able to gather, I think it was a bad VGA installation…

Would u guys say that the new Zalman VGA coolers are better then the standard coolers for vid cards?

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear that
Zer0Cool said:
Not very sure why I am writing this thread, coz it's obvious that my card is history…
It kept me busy for a minute. lol :)

lol ya, it gave me somthin to do...

um yes i have heard the zalman's are much better than stock for overclocking and just in general, ive heard of them decreasing temps by up to 10c, i personally think it was just bad installation

ya, i just hope that the store will give me the new card right there, its alredy been 2 days without the comp, its driving me CRAZY! (im at work right now :D)

Well the computer came with the 1 year warranty.

3 month after the purchased, i had to take my comp back, coz my overclock undercloked (I don't know how to overclock :D) and wile I was there they suggested this VGA cooler for my vid card, so i agreed and they installed it for me, since then I haven't touched it, until 2 days ago after it overheated.

So ya technically they would need to give me a new card. I just hope that they have the card in stock, otherwize they would have to order it, and it will take 4ever, but if not, I know that they have the 1950XTX so maybe if I bargain with them, maybe they would give it to me....I don't know, they closed today coz of the Easter (I think) so tomorrow when il go to college on the way there il stop by with the vid card.

the zalman vf-900 is definitely worse than the stock cooler. You just need to turn the fan up, thats all.

In terms of performance, the stock cooler is actually VERY good, but because it relies on pulling the air, high fan speed is needed for efficiency. The Zalman VF-900 is good if you need something quiet but good at cooling. I've been using the VF-900 on my X1900 XT for a while now and it's been absolutely fantastic.

ty for ur responses guys.

I am leaving in 2h to try and replace it, il let u know what happened :D

Back
Top Bottom