Radeon 2XXX Series Info

I was speaking figuratively, not literally.

Whatever, I like ATI's architectural choices much more than NVIDIA's. The 512-bit memory bus and Unified Shader Architecture were both pioneered by ATI and first used by ATI.

well i hope for ati/amd's sake that everyone is more concerned with the figurative rathter than the literally crappy launch of the much awaited, and now overrated r600.

they better release the 2900xtx soon and cut the price of the 2900xt because I'd much rather buy a nvidia 8800 gts 640 mb for about a $100 less AND get equal if not better performance.

honestly i couldn't give a rat's ass what "architecture" they use. how can you "like" and architecture over another when its getting owned by the other "architecture" in a lower price bracket no less.

also as an amd owner i hold not sentiments over what they have done in the past, they're in the game to make money and they're not getting it from me with lazy and half as releases.

only good thing is hdmi..good job i guess thats why it took them forever :rolleyes:

well i hope for ati/amd's sake that everyone is more concerned with the figurative rathter than the literally crappy launch of the much awaited, and now overrated r600.

they better release the 2900xtx soon and cut the price of the 2900xt because I'd much rather buy a nvidia 8800 gts 640 mb for about a $100 less AND get equal if not better performance.

honestly i couldn't give a rat's ass what "architecture" they use. how can you "like" and architecture over another when its getting owned by the other "architecture" in a lower price bracket no less.

also as an amd owner i hold not sentiments over what they have done in the past, they're in the game to make money and they're not getting it from me with lazy and half as releases.

only good thing is hdmi..good job i guess thats why it took them forever :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more, I have the same view about the R600. A bit like my last post.

I still hold by my opinion that architecture does matter, but you do have good points. AMD and ATI are both poor at launching hardware. That's another reason why Intel and the Core 2 Duo is completely stealing AMD's thunder from the Athlon 64 era. Intel is efficient, fast and they stick with their schedules. When they say something will launch that day, there is a VERY VERY high probability that it will be launched that day. For AMD, that could mean just releasing paper specs or another week.

Architectures is the key to a better performance ;)

Agreed.

The problem with R600 is that ATi used the shaders to do all the AA/AF stuff. There is nothing dedicated to doing AA and AF on the ATi cards. Thats why they take a bigger performance hit compared to nVidia cards. Why they did this is beyond me. And that the R600 shaders are 4+1 unlike 1+1 compared to nvidia's.

I still hold by my opinion that architecture does matter, but you do have good points. AMD and ATI are both poor at launching hardware. That's another reason why Intel and the Core 2 Duo is completely stealing AMD's thunder from the Athlon 64 era. Intel is efficient, fast and they stick with their schedules. When they say something will launch that day, there is a VERY VERY high probability that it will be launched that day. For AMD, that could mean just releasing paper specs or another week.

Agreed.

And who's architecture is better?

If you ask me, it depends on the performance/power consumption ratio the most, as since the performance is so close between these cards, but the R600 uses not far off twice the power? who's got better architecture? Sorry, but Nvidia IMHO has a far better architecture to me this time round than ATI.

If Nvidia decided to add the same number of unified shaders as the R600 using 8800 architecture, it'd completely walk all over the R600 by I'm guessing about 70% faster, yet run using roughly the same power. Simply because ATI/AMD just can't get their little transistors anywhere near the Clockspeed Nvidia can.

Also, have a look at benchmarks with AA and A/Filtering enabled, the R600 suffers disproportionate performance hits and is well behind 8800's when enabled.

It's simply nowhere near a good as it IMHO. Yet a good bit more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom