r9 280x or r9 290

DuckboyBC

Solid State Member
Im interested in mining Zcash (Zec) From what I know the r9 280x performs similarly for gaming and mining. But zcash needs 2 x 1735 gbs of ram or something like that

so 3.5 gbs of ram is needed apprently or you will have worse performace with the 280x. So if im correct I should get a 290

So if that makes no sense 280x or 290.

vram. Ive seen it on a few posts about the 280x when im home in 15m I will post a link
Ok. Just FYI, the 290 is faster. It does not perform the same. It should be about 20-30% faster.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

By the way, why are those two the only options?

used 150 cad for 290 or 280x. Doesn't look like they were used for mining so theyre in good shape. My problem is I havent seen evidence of the 290 doing better for mining for some reason.

used 150 cad for 290 or 280x. Doesn't look like they were used for mining so theyre in good shape. My problem is I havent seen evidence of the 290 doing better for mining for some reason.
About that. When I said 20-30% faster I meant in general. I don't know about mining.

If it's the same price then I see no reason not to go for the 290.

My guess would be that the higher clock rate of the vram/gram of the two would be the one that'll process data faster.

Look at the specs.

The one reason to NOT get the 290 for mining would be that it consumes more power, which would eat into your profits. Not sure if the difference in power consumption is appreciable between the 280x and the 290 though...

Back
Top Bottom