Default Re: To QWERTY or Not to QWERTY that is the question

who cares

CrackerJacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #12
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm
yes, i agree, it would take the majority of people who now know how to type in qwerty a long time to change over. i like it. i can type fast with relitivly few errors. like Anubis said, why change it if it works?
Companies always change everything wether it works or not.

They have upgraded storage devices, optical drives, ram, processors, monitors, mouse, cables, wired to wireless and more. The have done this even though older technolgy worked okay. The keybaord must be they only thing which is lagging behind with upgrading.

yes it might take a little time to switch tio another layout buty once its changed we could be onto a winner, with greater typing speeds.

I mean I maybe wrong with this whole qwerty design being developed to slow typists down, I dont know, but I do know that once was informed about that.

If there was another layout and all computers started selling them anyway and all the newcomers to computers started with that setup then it would not be a problem.

I have even seen a mental keyboard which doesnot have the numbers, symbols or alphabet over the keys. they are supposed to be brilliant to learn touch typing and it looks mental when someone is typing on a blank keyboard - yuo are reallly going to have to know your stuff to be able to pull off that trick!!!!!!

================================================== ===

I do have fetish for computers and yes computers include keybaords.

Raveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #13
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to BGates14

I think typing on a blank keyboard would only take an hour to get used to and anyone who can type without looking at the keyboard could do.

Yeah you're right that everything gets upgraded but keyboards aren't a super must to be upgraded because theres not much needed to upgrade as they are all fine, the only thing is preference to how you like the keyboard, which is more about looks and what its made out of than what the key layout it.

http://www.treasuretrooper.com/267921
BGates14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #14
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Actually, anyone who wanted to try out a Dvorak keyboard could do it. You can easily change it in wondows to a Dvorak layout. Then you'd have to pry off all your keycaps and match the layout.
Here is the Dvorak layout:

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/layout.html
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #15
Baseband Member

I have seen a really cool keybaord actually. Its a laser image scanned onto a surface and then you just press the keys which are visible on the surface. So if the keyboard was projected over your desk then you would actually be just tapping away on the desk and not actually a keyboard - I think its more for showing off rather than useful for home computers - although the laser keybaord would come into play in other areas of use - it may be able to be linked up to your mobile phone too so no 3-4 letters of alphabet squezzed onto one bleeding key.

Only perfect spellers may

enter this system.
Raveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #16
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to BGates14

Come to think of it I've seen that keyboard in a magazine, prolly sharper image or something.

http://www.treasuretrooper.com/267921
BGates14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #17
Golden Master

Persoally, I think QWERTY keyboards are set like that because the guy was drunk and couldn't place the letters together. But, I think it has to give with the finger usage. The bumps on the F and J are for the index, controlling a specfic set of keys, and the res, being controlled by another specific finger. If you can find the program called All Right Type, then you could learn by yourself.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:09 PM   #18
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

I don't think I could use a Dvorak keyboard, if I would switch all the keys on my current keyboard, the bumps wouldn't be on the home row keys anymore. I don't think I could deal with that.

Plus I don't have the patience to learn a whole new typing layout.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #19
Daemon Poster

what genius said: "it doesnt matter what keyboard you use, but how you use it" I cant find that post but once i do, a rep point will be given.

| Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz(Smithfield) | EVGA 780i | EVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 |4GB Corsair 800 | WDCaviar 250GB | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro(w/ arctic silver 5) | Ultra 500w X-Finity Power Supply w/ 120mm Fan | Antec P180B. | Windows Vista Home Premium | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell Ultrasharp 22" Flatscreen Monitor

Macbook Pro 15" Unibody. 2GB Ram 250GB HDD Leopard
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote