To QWERTY or Not to QWERTY that is the question

Raveboy

Baseband Member
To my knowledge QWERTY layout keyboards were designed for the old fashioned typewriters because the typists were so fast and kept jamming the keys. I have been informed that QWERTY keyboards were designed to slow them down.

If that is the case ten why dont we see keyboards reverting back to the original layout no that it does not matter how fast we type because we wont jam the keys?

I take it the original layout was ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ?????????????

If the old ABCD layout will speed up yping speeds than lets bring it on!!!

I hate slow typing.

I know I could do a QWERTY typing course but I dont touch type more 'hunt and peck'. Surely the abcd layout would be faster anyway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I look forward to your threads on this interesting subject

yeah but isnt the qwerty layout in such a way that the commonly used letters are near to each other , also it would be strange now getting used to a new keyboard layout , and i am not too bothered aboout how fast i type sometimes i make laods of mistakes and other times i dont

I second that you have a keyboard fetish, but having an abc format would be more of a hastle changing to it from qwerty. An abc keyboard would just be a line of keys, maybe two lines for numbers, I'd rather keep qwerty

the qwerty board was indeed made by a man trying to make it so that typist couldn't jam the typewriters, and in turn could type faster. So that has nothing to do with computer users today. There is another layout, Dvorak, which was supposed to be better and replace qwerty but it never got big. The world record for typing was made using the Dvorak layout.

It would take a damn long time for a new layout to get popular, everyone is used to qwerty. I don't care if some other layout would be faster, I wouldn't start using it. I'm happy with qwerty, it would be a big challenge to learn to type with a new layout so that I wouldn't need to look at the keys.

Just outta interest raveboy how many keyboards do u own?? Like Raffaz said im sure u have a fetish lol ;)

Im happy with qwerty, never known anything else, why change if it works.

Anubis1980 said:
Just outta interest raveboy how many keyboards do u own?? Like Raffaz said im sure u have a fetish lol ;)

Im happy with qwerty, never known anything else, why change if it works.
lmao about the keyboard fettish , he was raving about a $300 keyboard the other day ,

yes, i agree, it would take the majority of people who now know how to type in qwerty a long time to change over. i like it. i can type fast with relitivly few errors. like Anubis said, why change it if it works?

Sure they will probably make some new daft design thats meant to be better, but iv'e used QWERTY since I started using computers and i've grown to used of it now to change to anything else!

And please, do tell, is it a keyboard fettish? I gotta know..

Matt

Back
Top Bottom