Quite possibly the weirdest issue you'd ever encounter.

Tech-Noob

Beta member
Hi folks. Like the title says, I'm facing the weirdest issue I've ever encountered when it comes to computers; whenever I delete anything, I lose disk space. Yup, you read this right. I lose disk space instead of gaining it. I had a headache trying to figure this out. I deleted a 3 gigs folder and my free space went from 100 GB to 97 GB. Could a malware be a possible cause? I'll do a full scan to my system just in case, but any further help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: I should note that it's just a C drive issue, the D drive is fine.

Not the weirdest thing I've ever seen, but I have seen it before.

First thing I'd do is empty the trash if yo uhave not already done so. Then I would run chkdsk /r in command prompt. IT has the ability to detect free space that is being marked as used and fixing the issue. Odds are that'll fix your problem and should prevent it from happening again.

Thanks for replying.

I'm running a full system scan at the moment using Microsoft security essentials and it detected something but the scan must finish before I can see what it is and remove it. Could a virus be a possible cause for this problem?

In any case, I'll run chkdsk after the scan finishes.

You realize that's a spoof, correct?

Anyhow, I would recommend both malwarebytes and Chkdisk, as the others have mentioned.

from his post he says he's had that problem personally, so maybe it wasn't a spoof...? or maybe he meant to say it's the weirdest he has seen...?

You realize that's a spoof, correct?

Anyhow, I would recommend both malwarebytes and Chkdisk, as the others have mentioned.

It isn't a spoof. It happened to me on an old computer running XP.

It's a data corruption error. Notice that all the characters that are messed up are 8 off. That means bit 3 is corrupted on those characters.

It isn't a spoof. It happened to me on an old computer running XP.

It's a data corruption error. Notice that all the characters that are messed up are 8 off. That means bit 3 is corrupted on those characters.

Huh. That does make sense. I just know that someone made a racist one, and it looked very similar to that.

Back
Top Bottom