Quick upgrade question

jrs6494

Baseband Member
Okay so I am receiving some money for xmas and I want to upgrade my Wife's pc. Well I'd like to upgrade my mobo as well. Give her mine and get me a new one.

Well I would keep the cpu from my mobo and put it on the new one. Is this okay and safe to do? Remove the cpu from one and install on the other? I built my PC btw.

One other question by just upgrading mobo and cpu but keeping hard drive will you have to reformat the hard drive or will it be okay? I know a silly question but I am just wondering.

Thanks for any help!

Jonathan

it all sounds ok to me, especially the part about giving her the old one and getting the new one. HAHA!

If the board you get is also socket 775, then yes, you can just drop your CPU in it, provided it supports C2Q processors.

If her current CPU is also socket 775, then her's will work in your board too, provided it has support for whatever CPU she has.

And for the hard drive, if your installation of Windows is Retail, then it should work straight away without format, otherwise if you have OEM, you will have to get a new key because your current one will be bound to your current motherboard. The only time you would have to format is if your current chipset drivers cause issues with your new ones (if you swap chipsets). You should have uninstalled them anyway before swapping the baords, but it is still possible to have remnants of it creating problems for you

And for the hard drive, if your installation of Windows is Retail, then it should work straight away without format, otherwise if you have OEM, you will have to get a new key because your current one will be bound to your current motherboard. The only time you would have to format is if your current chipset drivers cause issues with your new ones (if you swap chipsets). You should have uninstalled them anyway before swapping the baords, but it is still possible to have remnants of it creating problems for you

Okay, sounds good I think. Now what do you mean by swapping chipsets? I am pretty new with the more technical stuff but have enough understandings of computers to know about them. Thanks again!

Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom