Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Quick Questions about mobo and cpu

OK, I have a EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR nForce 680i SLI Socket 775 1333MHz DDR2-800 mobo, and it said to connect an auxilliary power cord in for better graphics performance. First off what is an auxillary port, it looks like the same port for my dvd-rom, and fits the same. 2ndly if that's not it, than is it required if im NOT doing SLI(2 graphic cards)? (XFX GeForce 7600 GT XXX Edition PCI Express 256MB GDDR3 btw)

My heat sink for cpu broke when I put it in, the little plastic that is supposed to catch behind the mobo snapped off. I was wondering if I can go a day with out a heatsink. Im not going to overclock, I just want to install windows, and try out CSS a 5 year old game. (Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe Processor 1.86GHz, 1066FSB, LGA775, 2MB Cache)

I have a ANTEC p180 case, no extra components installed execpt graphics card.
(I'm really eager to try it out, just got in the mail today, been saving for a long ass time. Plus I have to stay up all night so I can sleep all day tomarrow, because I have to work 9pm to 9am)

TrAn$MiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Quick Questions about mobo and cpu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAn$MiT
OK, I have a EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR nForce 680i SLI Socket 775 1333MHz DDR2-800 mobo, and it said to connect an auxilliary power cord in for better graphics performance. First off what is an auxillary port, it looks like the same port for my dvd-rom, and fits the same. 2ndly if that's not it, than is it required if im NOT doing SLI(2 graphic cards)? (XFX GeForce 7600 GT XXX Edition PCI Express 256MB GDDR3 btw)

My heat sink for cpu broke when I put it in, the little plastic that is supposed to catch behind the mobo snapped off. I was wondering if I can go a day with out a heatsink. Im not going to overclock, I just want to install windows, and try out CSS a 5 year old game. (Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe Processor 1.86GHz, 1066FSB, LGA775, 2MB Cache)

I have a ANTEC p180 case, no extra components installed execpt graphics card.
(I'm really eager to try it out, just got in the mail today, been saving for a long ass time. Plus I have to stay up all night so I can sleep all day tomarrow, because I have to work 9pm to 9am)
I'd just wait until I got a new heatsink and fan, anyway, the Conroe will also make you wait even if you don't want to, it will definitely get too hot and shutdown...

MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀

DO NOT TRY AND RUN WITHOUT A HEATSINK ON IT!!!!! You will burn it up it a matter of seconds.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

as for your first question, yes, it is the port that looks like the one on your DVD drive. I do not belive it's required (unless your sli'ing), but a little extra power never hurt.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote