Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-11-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default quick question

apperently the amd athlon 64 fx-60 (dual core 64 fx dual core) just came out, and i was wondering how much better it would be than a amd athlon x2 4800? thanks

steferfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by steferfootball
apperently the amd athlon 64 fx-60 (dual core 64 fx dual core) just came out, and i was wondering how much better it would be than a amd athlon x2 4800? thanks

By how much?

I'd say it's fairly more powerful than the 4800... I mean, considering that the FX-60 uses the New Hyper Transport processing.

The FX-60 is a BEAST! An overclockers dream come true! All of its multiplers are UNLOCKED!!! ALL OF THEM!!

Not only that, but it runs super cool! Plus, it consumes way less power than the 4800+....

*Cries a silent tear of joy*

Hopefully, that answers your question...

Oh, and as far as the Presler is concerned.... The AMD 64 FX-60 completely murders it. They aren't even in the same room, let alone the same block!

RaistlinZ - "I think God woke up one day (probably around Noon. dude likes to sleep in) and said to himself, "OMFG, these dinosaurs are just kicking too much ass. The world is not ready for them yet." "
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
Baseband Member

i was under the inpression that the 4800 had hyper transport...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=1576786 near the middle it says it has it, and is the new pentium extreame (as mentioned on another thread) as good as this?
Old 01-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinton McLeod

By how much?

I'd say it's fairly more powerful than the 4800... I mean, considering that the FX-60 uses the New Hyper Transport processing.

The FX-60 is a BEAST! An overclockers dream come true! All of its multiplers are UNLOCKED!!! ALL OF THEM!!

Not only that, but it runs super cool! Plus, it consumes way less power than the 4800+....

*Cries a silent tear of joy*

Hopefully, that answers your question...

Oh, and as far as the Presler is concerned.... The AMD 64 FX-60 completely murders it. They aren't even in the same room, let alone the same block!

Which is why we have the Conroe core. which is in the same room, and definetly the same block!

Can an AMD X2 run 4.5GHz off of straight AIR!? NO!!!

Does that answer your question?
JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
Baseband Member

AMD has managed to create faster CPU's running at less GHz than intel CPU's.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337DuD3
Which is why we have the Conroe core. which is in the same room, and definetly the same block!

Can an AMD X2 run 4.5GHz off of straight AIR!? NO!!!

Does that answer your question?

You fail to realize that the number of clock cycles do not equal performance. AMD has proven this time and time again.

The Conroe core hasn't came out yet, and it won't until the middle of this year. By that time, AMD will already have released the FX-62... So, I'm not too worried.
RaistlinZ - "I think God woke up one day (probably around Noon. dude likes to sleep in) and said to himself, "OMFG, these dinosaurs are just kicking too much ass. The world is not ready for them yet." "
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:20 PM   #7
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67

And by that time the new Pentium Exteme Editions will be out, owning all the AMD CPUs.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:17 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

hahaha, quinton, you crack me up, giving false info to everybody and pulling an Intel. But thats okay, everybody is bias one way or the other. You just have to accept the fact that the FX-60 is a huge waste of money. So what if it has unlocked multipliers?? Do you have any LN2 lying around to take advantage of that? I ASSUME NO. Do you see any A64's running multis higher than 10 or 11? NO. It runs super cool? NO. It runs the same temp as any other dual core AMD has released. Want to know why? It is the same freaking Toledo core as the 4800+ based on the old 90nm process and the higher the clocks, the more power is consumes. Get your mind straight. A processor will NOT consume less power and run faster at the same time. That should be common sense. An overclockers dream?? Pfff, give me a break. It caps at 3.3Ghz. Thats probably the most it will ever get to. HyperTransport new?? It came out when the S754s came out. Get your facts straight.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:38 AM   #9
BSOD

See ownage, this is why we turn to you when guys liek us need some "owning" to happen. Job well done.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:56 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

thanks thats what i do

ownage is offline   Reply With Quote