A quick q

SwitchBlade305

Baseband Member
hey everyone i got a quick q. if i upgrade my proc, hl2 and css will run better correct? im on a 1.7 (1666mhz) proc right now, and how would a amd athlon xp 3000+ be for an upgrade? Im looking for some better preformance wil hl2 and css, and i think this will do the trick. any help would be great. Thanks!!

athln xp 2000+ (1666)
1024 pc 2700 333, (semi old ram, i wish my mobo supported 3200 :( )
ATI 9800 pro
Soyo K7VMP2
350 psu, win xp pro, etc

yeah so would that 3000+ plus be a nice upgrade for hl2, and the other thing i was thinking was just get a new mobo, trash this 2700 ram, and then get 3200. God people dont understand that 1 gig ram is a good ammount, BUT THE RAM SPEED IS JUST AS IMPORTANT IF NOT MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE AMMOUNT OF RAM IN THE SYSTEM!! i know all the leet pc guys already know this, but i thought id say it anyway. thanks again

3000+ runs at 2.167

well i run my amd athlon xp-m 2500+ at 2.4ghz, so it faster than the 3200+, you might be able to overclock your ram to 3200 speeds with proper cooling, but yea a 3000 would be better

oh ok so exactly how much of a gaming difference in half life 2 will i see between a AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1666) and an AMD Athlon XP 3000+?(2.167) thanks

well i was playin a game and my mobo set my cpu back to 800mhz and i didnt know so i was getting 40 fps instead of 80fps (i lost 1ghz in speed)..so i am thinking that you might see around 20fps increase

oh wow i see. so how would i overclock my CPU if i had proper cooling for it? I would go into the bios and increase the FSB setting?? Any help on this would be great, because im pretty sure i could get my CPU to about 2.2 or something like that, seeing how its a 1.7 right now. And if i do need to go into the BIOS, what setting do i need to look for?? Like i said any help would be great, Thanks again

Yes,but if your RAM are slow, you will get a bootleneck and won't get much effect with the OC. If you want to crank your FSB, you better have RAM's that will be able to take the frequency, otherwise your bus will only go at your RAM speed.

oh ok so lets say i DONT want to OC anything, but just get the 3000+ and work with that. How will that run Half Life 2, seeing how it is a big jump in CPU speed. I would assume a lot better, but i cant say anything for sure. Any help plz thanks

Back
Top Bottom