Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-13-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Quick processor question...

Does having two processors (dual core) mean that... well how do i put this... lets say i had a 2.5 GHz duel core processor. Does that mean i really have a 5 GHz processor? >> Sorry i don't fully understand that whole processor logic :P

pc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
Guru

Default Re: Quick processor question...

That's not quite how it adds up. Having a dual-core or a quad-core means that you can run more threads simultaneously. New software is usually written with multiple threads in mind. The idea is that different cores can be working on a different thread to complete a different task. However, this simultaneous work is attempting to achieve the same goal.

*Please keep in mind I use the terms threads and cores loosely.

Here's a read that may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-core_processor

JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
Baseband Member

so lets say i have a 1.7 GHz dual core processor. In games would a 3.6 GHz single core be better?
Old 06-13-2010, 02:27 AM   #4
Guru

That's a good question. It depends on how the program was written. If it was a more modern game, it was most likely designed to take advantage of 2 cores. In this case a 1.7GHz dual-core would be better. However, if you're playing an older game, then the 3.6Ghz single-core would outperform the dual-core.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
That's a good question. It depends on how the program was written. If it was a more modern game, it was most likely designed to take advantage of 2 cores. In this case a 1.7GHz dual-core would be better. However, if you're playing an older game, then the 3.6Ghz single-core would outperform the dual-core.
This only works if the processors are identical other than the number of cores, which they won't be. Clock speed is one of the least important factors in actual processing speed. The architecture and technology on the chip is what makes the difference, clock speed can only be used to compare processors within the same series.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
Baseband Member

so lets say pcsx2 (if you know what that is) since that utilizes two cores the 1.7 would be the better choice for running that program?

Also if i WERE to play an older game, would it only run only on the 1.7 GHz processor as if there wasn't a second?
Old 06-13-2010, 02:39 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc4life View Post
so lets say pcsx2 (if you know what that is) since that utilizes two cores the 1.7 would be the better choice for running that program?

Also if i WERE to play an older game, would it only run only on the 1.7 GHz processor as if there wasn't a second?
I'm pretty sure PCSX2 is threaded for multiple cores, so yeah, you would be better off with a newer processor.

Yes, but it would be a pretty dated game. Also, it would leave one core to take care of the OS and background stuff while your other core just did the game.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:45 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
This only works if the processors are identical other than the number of cores, which they won't be. Clock speed is one of the least important factors in actual processing speed. The architecture and technology on the chip is what makes the difference, clock speed can only be used to compare processors within the same series.
I'm well aware of that. However, the nature of his question assumed the difference of only rated clock speeds and cores.

Among today's technology, Intel is the processor brand you want to get. Having said that, the most effective processor for a casual gamer and computer user would either be a Core 2 Duo E8xxx series (this is being phased out) or one of the newer LGA1156 i5 processors. The E8xxx are high clocked dual-core processors that use Intel's Core 2 architecture. If you want to future proof a little more, you might want to look at the i5 line-up of dual-cores and quad-cores.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:45 AM   #9
Baseband Member

Is there a HUGE difference from a 1.9 GHz to a 2.5 GHz dual core processor?
Old 06-13-2010, 02:51 AM   #10
Guru

It would really depend on what you're doing. I own an E8500 (? I forgot) rated at 2.93GHz. For everyday use, I can't tell the difference between my processing speed and my friend's Core 2 Duo 1.6Ghz processor. If you're using something that requires a lot of processing power (like Folding@Home or maybe trying to max out crysis or a similar game) then, yes, you might notice a significant difference.