quick HDD ?????

LOL, I don't back up at all.....

Of course I don't have anything on the computer that I want to keep. I'm a network admin for a school and heavily involved in computers, however my home pc is like...Vista Home, 1 Gb RAM, Pent 4 processor....

uhh....

I've got a 500GB external drive partly full of films - these don't get backed up since I've got them all on DVD anyway. Ripping them all again would be a pain - but I wouldn't lose anything and much as I'd like to and plan to in the future, I haven't got the spare capacity available at the moment to back them all up. Just not economically viable. The external drive also gets my other important documents tarred up and thrown at it every so often via a cron job, and since my music collection is fairly static that's just on a number of CDs and DVDs - these just get gradually added to as the music collection grows.

There's a number of considerations behind this strategy - most notably using an external drive to back up documents rather than another internal one. If the power supply in the PC goes wild and takes everything with it as it breaks (not unheard of at all) it's going to most likely wreck both internal drives, but won't be able to touch the external one. At worst it might crap up the 5V rail and destroy the USB interface - but it won't be able to get to the drive itself to damage it. :)

Back
Top Bottom