Questions to sooth my soul....

cwharms

In Runtime
Ok, as usual, I have the upgrade bug. Thing is, I am on a budget that doesn't currently allow it.

My current system consists of: pentium D 805(mildly occd to 2.8), ECS MB, 2gb ddr2-533, 600w psu, AIW X800XL, and a samsung 400gb hdd, running XP pro.

I do light video/photo editing, run MS office '07 always, watch TV and surf the net.... no gaming at all.

I want to upgrade to Vista(yeah I know, but I need a change). My question is, since I am on a "no-spending" budget, would buying a good cpu cooler and oc'g to 3mhz be good enough for what I do?

Possibly getting me by another year when new stuff comes out and prices drop?

Thanks ~ Chris

Well, do you already have vista? If so, I guess that would be just fine. But if you have to buy vista I wouldn't even bother.

Blah, want something different. I can get Vista HP 32bit oem for $50 and install it on a fresh drive I have here.

My main question is would it be to my advantage to keep the 805 and oc more.

I'm using an oem hs/fan, so I would imagine I could go 3+ w/ a good aftermarket cooler.

Well. That gives you 5.6 total GHz. Not sure if they add up like I'm doing. But here's what you gotta do. Compare price of a cooler to an upgrade on processor. Then decide what's best for you.

EDIT: Oh yes definitely. With an aftermarket cooler you can easily make 3.0

In my eyes a processor upgrade would consist of an entire overhaul, ie; cpu/mb/ram..... so $400ish.

Cooling would cost $50

Back
Top Bottom