Questions about dualchannel/pc4000

TOWT

In Runtime
I am new to the world of ram and I was wondering is it worth the money for the increase in speed for the pc4000,
also is it worth the extra money getting dual channel ram?

dual channel is not extra, almost every modern day ram is. PC-4000 is worth it. Buy it from crucial or OCz

So ur saying as long as ur motherboard supports it the ram has dualchannel?

THe dual channel is inherent to the motherboard. If your motherboard supports it, you just have to place 2 identical memory chips in the matched slots. Note dual channel gives you double bandwidth operating range so if your mobo supports it, use it.

As the others said, Dual channel is a feature of the motherboard Chipset (or CPU in regards to the Athlon 64 series) and memory modules have no effect on this (well, apart from that they are best to be matching pairs)

Can I ask why you are going PC4000 as the maximum official FSB is 400MHz of any CPU (except the P4EE 1066MHz FSB = 533MHz RAM, which PC4000 is slower than, so pointless). Unless you are overclocking, which I presume you will not, PC3200 Branded RAM will be cheaper than PC4000, and with the same performance.

Running memory with a different FSB ratio than the CPU will degrade system performance.

It doesnt run slower...it runs it at 4000 speeds, it's just the genral speed for the mobo when it says what it supports.

What do you mean "It doesnt run slower...it runs it at 4000 speeds", are you refering to the 533MHz RAM, as PC4000 runs at 500MHz

Sorry for asking, I'm not trolling, but I'm confused at what you are getting at.

Im saying that even though the board says it uses PC-3200, it still runs at higher and lower speeds.

Ahh, I get you.

What I ment was that when the CPU FSB and RAM FSB is not in sync with each other, you will get a slight degrade in system performance, even if the memory is running faster. Hence the reason I asked why he is using 500MHz RAM unless he is overclocking.

The advantage of lower latency times is also pretty expensive for the speed gains. something like a rediculous 2% memory bandwidth increase and overall next to no system performance increase.

Anyway, get Dual channel memory, definatly faster, and increases performance a lot more than getting faster than PC3200 memory for your set up.

If your not overclocking, and your system has a 400MHz FSB, get 2 sticks of PC3200 memory. Cheaper than the PC4000 that would provide no benifit.

If you are planing to overclock then do get the faster PC4000 memory, still dual channel though.

Back
Top Bottom