questions about dual monitors

mammikoura

Golden Master
1. The 2 monitors don't have to be identical or do they?

2. My vid card has 1 VGA and 1 DVI port, so will it be able to run 2 monitors?

3. Is it possible to make it so that when gaming one monitor displays the game and the other one displays windows, so that I could chat on msn&irc and browse the web while gaming?

4. If the answer to #3 is yes, how much would it affect my performance?

No

Depends on the video card software. Most likely, yes.

No

If it did, it will affect it to a lag.

Actually, for #3, I have heard of people doing this... I don't know what's required, but I'm quite sure it's possible. But, either way, it would cause some lag

thanks for the quick replies.

I'll try to find a way to accomplish #3, if possible. I'd imagine that 2GB of ram and a 6800GT or GS would be able to handle it pretty well.

Yeah, all you need to do is run the game in a window. Anyways, yeah it laggs the whole system. Depending on the res of course. But hell, you have a 6800? Try it out :D

ArrizX said:
Yeah, all you need to do is run the game in a window. Anyways, yeah it laggs the whole system. Depending on the res of course. But hell, you have a 6800? Try it out :D

Well I don't have it yet. :p But I will have it quite soon, currently browsing around internet auctions trying to get one for a good price. Same with the ram.

And playing the game in a window might actually work, and I wouldn't even need dual monitors for that, though it would be nicer that way. I don't want to waste a single inch from my 21" gaming monitor :D

I run dual monitors on my ATI x700. I play WoW or CS on my primary monitor while watching tv/videos on my second monitor. Or you can set it that its on complete monitor.

mammikoura said:
3. Is it possible to make it so that when gaming one monitor displays the game and the other one displays windows, so that I could chat on msn&irc and browse the web while gaming?

Ive seen this done, it was on a video on the internet. The guy did have nice specs though, AMD 4000+ 3GB RAM, 2X7800GTX in SLI...so if you have got a nice enough computer, it can do this without any problems.

So how would I go about doing #3?
I'm pretty sure I can get the 2 monitors working but how do I set it up so that the other one runs the game and the other one runs windows. Or do I just start the game in a window and move it to the other screen?

And is there a way to change the mouse cursor between the applications without using the windows key?

Back
Top Bottom