Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default question on videocards.

this is know this is just like a super newb question but, i recall when i built my computer there was a 6-pin connector that was included with my 6800GS that connected with my power supply, i told my friend about this today, and he said he didn't need to do that with his 6600GT, i popped open my dell and checked the FX5200 and that didn't have any connectors to the power supply either. is it only newer cards that have this or is mine just retarded?

| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: question on videocards.

Nope, some cards have it and some cards dont. The cards that need more juice usually have the 6 pin connector. Dont worry your card isnt a odd ball..

what is up vanilla face
G35x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

yea but you really only need the power connector if your runing a juice sucking gfx card like an SLI 7800GTX which is ridiculous.
Ronco Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
Golden Master

Lower end video cards generally don't draw extra juice from the power supply. They just use whatever voltages are supplied through the graphics slot. On mine for example, I use a 7800GT and it utilizes a 4-pin power socket taken directly from my PSU. Some have this config, some don't.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronco Rox
yea but you really only need the power connector if your runing a juice sucking gfx card like an SLI 7800GTX which is ridiculous.
well if there is a place for a 6 pin power cable then u should use it.

And as the previous posters already said, only the more powerfull cards require extra power. (because the pci-e/agp port can't give them enough power)
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

do all PSU's have an extra cable for fx cards because i have Ge-force 6500 and it has a 4-pin power socket for extra juicing.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
Golden Master

You would just use a regular 4-pin power molex connector from the power supply to power that video card.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

this uh, leads me to my next question, another friend of mine recently bought a 7600gt and asked me why he wasn't getting a display on his monitor, i asked him if he plugged it into the powersupply and he said no, he didn't have a chance to rectify this yet, but could this be the reason that he isn't getting display on his monitor or should the pci-e x16 slot give enough power to show boot up on the monitor? or is this a signal for a dead video card? it definitely isn't a motherboard problem since he just sent it back to ASUS last week to get it tested and everything was working 100%.
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

well he prolly has the thing hooked up wrong. did he clip it in or just placed it in the slot?