Question on a prebuilt PC

Great Descent

Solid State Member
Hey, I'm looking at buying an HP Pavilion for a couple of reasons: 1, I'm liking Vista so I'm interested in that, 2) I want something with more power for apps and some gaming, and 3) I'm not big into building. I did have a couple of questions though. First, the computer comes with 2 gigs of ram, and I was wondering if the ram HP uses is going to be inferior to that which you would buy for a build. If so, how much am I going to notice it? Second, it comes with an integrated Nvidia 6150LE video card which I would be upgrading out of. It does have a PCIe slot available, but is there something I'm going to need to do to disable the intergated card? Thanks alot :) .

I don't think you would need anything else to disable the integrated graphics controller. It should disable on its own when you install a new dedicated 3-d accelerator card or you can manually disable it in the computer BIOS setup (at the start of the computer, hit the Delete key), depends on the manufacturer of the PC.

2GB of RAM is more than enough. I'm using 1GB now and it runs perfect. Dedicated video card is a must have too. I like to stay away from integrated video setups.

How much watts does the PSU have?? If your upgrading into a high end card or mid maybe the PSU is not enough

You will need to disable the onboard graphics from the BIOS like said above mate

NeXuS said:
How much watts does the PSU have?? If your upgrading into a high end card or mid maybe the PSU is not enough

Nice catch...

Dont forget to check into this.

Thanks for the help so far. I'm unable to find the PSU wattage, but I'm assuming it would be lower than most would build a PC with. I'm looking to pick up a 7600GT, which I have heard is a fairly low power consuming card. Is this going to be a close call?

Great Descent said:
Thanks for the help so far. I'm unable to find the PSU wattage, but I'm assuming it would be lower than most would build a PC with. I'm looking to pick up a 7600GT, which I have heard is a fairly low power consuming card. Is this going to be a close call?

well that is true about the 7600GT, but it will probably be a very close call.

these are the power requirements for the 7600

A 350W PCI Express compliant system power supply (with 12V current rating of 20A or more)

Your PSU has got to have a label or something on it indicating what it is....

Back
Top Bottom