question on Dell dimension 3000

Thomasj

Baseband Member
anybody know if the PS fan is supposed to pull air out of the case or pull air into the case. I am helping a friend with a problem and his is pulling in. something Ive never seen bfore

Ah :p

It depends, but that is rather weird.

On most power supplys now, there are two fans. One above inside the case which pulls air in and then one outside the case behind it, which pushes the hot air out from both the power supply, and internal case.

If there is only one fan on his, and its pushing cold air into the power supply, this is okay I guess, but as a result, thermal temperatures inside the case will get higher, where the video card usually lies if its a bottom mounted one.

If its a top mounted one, and there is an exaust close by, it shouldn't be a problem.

A few power supply's for special builds pull air in, typically small form factor computers.

Well the problem is that it the computer works great for about 20 minutes after start up. Starts to slow and then just clicks off instantly. No warning. After it clicks off the light on the power button is flashing. Remove the side cover and it will run for days problem free.

I need to find out if this fan is supposed to push or pull. Is it possible for a fan to malfuction and run in reverse?

Back
Top Bottom