question about upgrading

chuckieb827

Beta member
currently i have a hp pavilion laptop with a 2.4ghz processor it has 512kb l2 cache. I am looking to upgrade the processor, and i just have a couple questions about compatibility. Can i run a newer processor like a prescott or a northwood as long as the sockets are the same? also could i run one that uses hyper threading technology? the board supports 533 fsb for sure and they were available with a 2.8ghz from the factory. But the main thing im looking to upgrade is the l2 cache and i know it is in the processor, so could i just upgrade to lets say 2.4ghz/2meg L2 chip with no problems?

thanks

chuckieb827 said:
currently i have a hp pavilion laptop with a 2.4ghz processor it has 512kb l2 cache. I am looking to upgrade the processor, and i just have a couple questions about compatibility. Can i run a newer processor like a prescott or a northwood as long as the sockets are the same? also could i run one that uses hyper threading technology? the board supports 533 fsb for sure and they were available with a 2.8ghz from the factory. But the main thing im looking to upgrade is the l2 cache and i know it is in the processor, so could i just upgrade to lets say 2.4ghz/2meg L2 chip with no problems?

thanks

In theory, you can. However, no one knows if the Bios is locked to that specific proceossor. Also, the Bios has to support Hyper Threading in order for you to use it.

Back
Top Bottom