Question about Ram...Please help I'm new:)

w333zy1

Solid State Member
Hey everyone just a general question...
first off im not very good with computers so i iwll make this sound simple and easy :)
i bought a new laptop not too long ago "Dell inspiron 1525" and it came with 3G of ram.. now i got vista (herd its total garbage but thats gonna be another thread lol) and on my side i got these apps i guess and one of them is perfomance... well this performance app that i got says i only have 1.5G or ram FREE ....
so im wondering whats going on here i dont got alot of programs running just MSN and UTORRENT besides that just music and maybe microsoft word when im doing my homework
so if you guys can help me out ... maybe im doing something wrong? or i need to change thing?

any help with be great!!!!

Thanks in advance:)

if you are using Vista, then i think vista takes about 512mb to be shared, and then the programs took the rest, which ended up leaving you 1.5g.
sometimes mines say i got about 1gb free because i have apps up taking the 756mb of the rest.
though, i could be wrong.
just use the windows system information, and see what it says, dont really trust the performance apps, unless its one of those popular ones.

Im kind of confused.
So It detects you have 3 gigs of ram and you have only 1.5gigs of left on it?

Vista is such a ram hog its not even funny.

ohh... so its not a big deal then i hope?
I dont want to overheat the laptop with too many programs then
i never knew simple programs need soo much ram to work lol
thanks alot for the help:)

Yes thats what its saying... i tried to close some programs earlier (ex. msn utorrent) but that added me no more then .4G in total

Simple programs really don't need much to work but it's vista itself that likes to use as much ram as it can.
How much ram does it say Utorrent is taking. I'm kind of curious.

im pretty sure that if the computer gets too hot, it shuts itself down.
i think vista takes about 512mb just to run it, the onboard video takes about 256mb, then an additional 512mb or 756mb when ever it needs it, then your apps took the rest.
at least for me, i only have azureus, mozilla and a folder open and its taking 50% of my ram, and i have 2gb.

before closing utorrent it says i have 1.5G of ram left but when i close it, it says i have 1.6G left so im guessing around 100Mb? or so
no wonder why i keep hearing bad news about vista and how many people arnt satisfied with it lol

Thanks for the quick help guys:)

no problem.

side note - i like vista, i think its better than XP.
i think that 1.5gb extra is more than enough. i dont get why computers nowadays are even being sold with 6gb of ram when 32 bit XP can only run 3.25gb IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom