Question about processors

my usuage is going to be mainly for gaming. Maybe some videos, the odd usuage for office...but strictly gaming.

ok i understand now about the 64bit...thanks all :)

ok my theory on the quad vs the duo, quad every time,

people say there are not alot of programs out there that use 4 cores and your right,

but lets sya you open your processes and you have 25 processes running, on a duo thats 12 procceses per core, on a wuad thats 6 processes per core.

my point is if your running a game on a quad then you can assign your other processes to core 1 and 2 then you have a full 2.66 Ghz worth of 2 cores for the game on core 3 and 4. where as a dupo will have say 3.2Ghz on 2 cores for all your processes and the game..

my usuage is going to be mainly for gaming. Maybe some videos, the odd usuage for office...but strictly gaming.

ok i understand now about the 64bit...thanks all :)

get a quad or ull want to hurt your self
trust me

I would say quad core as you may not benefit from 4 cores now but I'm sure you will in the near future.

I used to own a Q6600, I have said before that I miss it. But that's only because I'm slightly dissapointed with my E8400's OC, I got a dud chip, and the voltage required for 4GHz with this chip is more than what the 45nm process can tolerate for long periods. Although I'm dissapointed with the OC, I'm getting better performance for what I do with the system than the Q6600. I'm also getting lower power consumption, lower heat outputs (my Vendetta can handle this with ease) and tighter memory timings as the NB is not so strained from running an overclocked quad core.

It all depends on what you do, nobody can give you a concrete answer on what to buy, although from what you have said so far, I would be leaning towards the E3110 over the Q6600. We can give you advice but you're the one who has to make the decision.

And if are lucky and get an dual core than can do 4GHz with 1.2V, trust me, you won't want to hurt yourself, you'll be estatic.

on air cooling u can get 3.6 with a quad ive seen it with no problem
get the qaud the dual core chip will disappoint if you start multitasking
(360 has 3 cores just saying =P)
or if you play games coming out in the next couple months

The new batches of Q6600's are not clocking nearly as well, the centre of the wafer is being reserved for the Q6700.
I could run 3.6 benching runs with my cooler, but no more. You will need to spend $50+ on cooling if you want 3.6 on the Q6600.
get the qaud the dual core chip will disappoint if you start multitasking
BS. If there's anything that's restricting multi tasking, it's the FSB and the hard drive. Not the CPU.

Back
Top Bottom