Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-08-2004, 01:29 PM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1
Default Question about my Windows XP

I accidently installed two operating systems on both hardrives and i dont want it that way.I was trying to delete the old partition(something like that) when i accidently installed another one on hardrive2.Is there anyway and can take everything off the drives and start over?How would i go about doing this? And i dont want to take it to a repair shop.
__________________

Longhornfan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:37 AM   #2
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: Question about my Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornfan42
I accidently installed two operating systems on both hardrives and i dont want it that way.I was trying to delete the old partition(something like that) when i accidently installed another one on hardrive2.Is there anyway and can take everything off the drives and start over?How would i go about doing this? And i dont want to take it to a repair shop.
Well - firstly yey for Longhorn!

You can use the Formatting Tool on Windows XP Install CD - once its finished formatting just switch off the computer so it can't install Windows!
__________________

__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 58
Default Re: Question about my Windows XP

Use a boot disk, then format both hard drives...

format c: /q /u
and
format c: /q /u

If you really want all the content gone (Partition and all) use fdisk and remove all partitions.

Then install your OS, assuming you are installing 2000, XP, 2003, Longhorn then the installer will create a partition and format it with the file system you choose.
aharvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:05 PM   #4
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default

Bit ahead with the Longhorn comment!

Wow - what is it again, 5Gb? On a DVD installer! Mmm mmm; Kalthorn wants some Longhorn luvin'. As far as I've heard it loads itself up on the RAM and installs as you go through the options.
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:35 PM   #5
Site Team
 
David Lindon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,233
Default Re: Question about my Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kalthorn
Bit ahead with the Longhorn comment!

Wow - what is it again, 5Gb? On a DVD installer! Mmm mmm; Kalthorn wants some Longhorn luvin'. As far as I've heard it loads itself up on the RAM and installs as you go through the options.
Then you must have some fat RAM!
__________________
[url=http://www.LNXPS.NET]LNXPS.NET - The XPS Library]
David Lindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:49 PM   #6
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default

lol! not all 5 GB would go on; but most of the stuff which would be used in that short time - control panel and such like - and thinking that by that point 516 would be commonplace; they could probably stuff a huge amount on the Graphics Card and there would be lots of people - especially buying computers with Longhorn preinstalled who would have 1 and 2 GB Rams!
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #7
In Runtime
 
TheSickness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 370
Send a message via AIM to TheSickness Send a message via MSN to TheSickness Send a message via Yahoo to TheSickness
Default Re: Question about my Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zharvek
Use a boot disk, then format both hard drives...

format c: /q /u
and
format c: /q /u

If you really want all the content gone (Partition and all) use fdisk and remove all partitions.

Then install your OS, assuming you are installing 2000, XP, 2003, Longhorn then the installer will create a partition and format it with the file system you choose.
Yeah, FDisk is your answer for a full deletion of everything on a hard drive. Thats how i do it when i screw sometihng up and install more that 1 OS (which ive done a few times, Damn Windows 98 )

If you need help, just ask, it really isn't that hard to fdisk
__________________

TheSickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0